Daily Transportation?

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by bwagner, Sep 6, 2004.

1. bwagner

bwagner New Member

What type of vehicles do you guys and girls drive?
    I'm driving a small car right now, but in the past I've had a few older S.U.V.'s and to tell you the truth, I really miss them, they were Isuzu Troopers, one was a 1987, and the other a 1990 I think. Pretty problematic, but I could haul five people, and five BMX bikes without even taking off the wheels! And everything was on the inside of the truck, no rack or anything.

2. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

er, buses, trains and velocipedes - oh my !

this is a bike forum, and not everyone in the world has the same preoccupation with burning fossil fuels as the US.

- Joel

3. Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx Guest

Daily is an '89 Mitsubishi Mirage turbo. Fun little car that still manages 30mpg on my commutes. And I can still stuff the bike in without taking off the wheels.

Weekend car is my '71 Dodge Coronet (same body as the Charger) station wagon. Its just fun, even if it is a crazy gas hog.

4. Peace

Peace pedocrab

mitsubishi express 1.8L, ooooohhhh yeah! 4 cylinders of carby power!!! i love vans though, can just chuck shit in there! no care about scratching stuff, its great! and i can still scare the shit out of all my mates cos it has no nose so i get REALLLLY close to shit hehe
    Peace

oh and on the odd occasion i get to drive the folks Nissan X-Trail Ti, man that car is soooo nice to drive and packs a lot of power for such a little engine! 132kw 2.4L 4 cylinder:bigthumb:

5. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

Go Joel. :)

6. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

I be heard brudda. Ma purple pal got no car too.

- Joel

7. B1105

B1105 New Member

I'm only 16, so I dont drive, but when I do, I'll be driving a Mazda Protege

8. bwagner

bwagner New Member

I'm well aware that this is a bike forum, thats the reason I visit on a daily basis. Now I just wish that more of us didn't have that annoying "preoccupation" with trying to make others look bad, or feel bad. And just so you know, most Buses, and even some trains still burn fossil fuels too, maybe they're a little ecologically better due to the fact that they are pooling the users, but that would still make you the same as a person who's "a little bit of a vegetarian".You either are, or you aren't. It seems like you aren't to me. Just my opinion. I hope that doesn't go straight over your head. Oh, and one more thing, this is not a bash for being ECO friendy, and is directed at both Joel, and Rush

9. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

Joel is just having a laugh.

He drove a car when he lived in canberra for atleast 6 months.

Your comment about saving the environment is silly. But as it happens alot of canberra busses run on natural gas. Not saying it dosent polute but does alot better.

I drive a car. Peugeot 504. Custom paint fade too...

10. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

hey I only drove my car to trials rides :)

- Joel

11. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

I would get a faster bike to ride around but i think the welding of it may produce to many greenhouse gasses. :(

12. Elan

Elan steve french

thats why 95% of the worlds top drivers arent from the us of a.

myself, i drive the type-r, you will see it in ftc5.

i am working my ass off to buy a new car though, either a subaru or an audi..donno which yet.

13. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Elan,

Which Audi would it be?, and of course which suburu also. My cousin has an STI, and I have a good friend who just moved to Florida that has a VERY nice AVANT. Both are very nice in my opinion

14. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

Elan - are you saying that the rest of the world drives more than the US, hence the rest of the world produces a majority of professional drivers?

I get the impression that, despite the proliferance of drivers in America, there isn't a high proportion of particularly skilled drivers there.

Hydro, I might have an old alum hardtail for you to build up when I get back, if you can get me a BT frame :) although I know you were just making excuses.

- Joel

15. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

Its ok, i have an old monga (mongoose) frame to build up when i can be fucked. I rode a dudes mtb with slicks on it, they fly, i was impressed, so impressed im going to build myself one up.

16. Elan

Elan steve french

BAHAHAHA. no... im just saying that some countries like, france, and spain for instance, have somewhat of a obsession with driving sports. and some people try to claim teh US is solely responsible. and its funny.

17. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

an obsession with driving sports perhaps, I think you'll find that the US has the highest sport watcher : sport player ratio in the world though, the euros have an obsession with all sports.

Anyway motorsport contributes very little to the total pollution, it's individual car users, as well as highway transport, that are the primary problem on the roads.

The Europeans have a completely different attitude to things, they don't seem to give a shit about what the major corporations want - they just do what's best. Oil companies don't have shit all power here, petrol stations are the most pathetic little dumps you've ever seen, but train and bus stations are everywhere, very efficient, and damn cheap.

I wouldn't say that the US is solely responsible for anything, but as the biggest corporation in the world it has gained a lot from where it stands, has done well for itself, and will continue to gain from its position. As a result, I think it is the responsibility of the US government to take a strong role in environmental reform, as much as it is taking a role in governmental reform overseas. The responsibility doesn't lie in any single place of course, but I think that the largest responsibility gap, as far as end users go - the ones that burn the coal and oil ultimately, is waiting to be filled by the US, UK and Australia. The EU could do more, of course, but why buy more streamers and punch if nobody's coming to the party?

On-topic, my favouritest car was a 1.5l ford laser - a piece of crap, but it used next to no fuel, and could fit "three boys and three bikes, and smell for three weeks" as its owner used to say :)

- Joel

18. digby

digby New Member

americas fascination with a motorsport where the only turn you make is left is kinda dumb I think. I'm sure it takes alot of skill to keep your car bottom side down when going 200mph, but it things like wrc and f1 totally smoke nascar.

I used to have this p.o.s toyota van, it had duck tape all over the back window cuz someone left thier bike standing in the back and it tipped over putting the bar into the window. It was such a p.o.s. top speed, 70 mph on a downhill with the wind behind me. However, It could fit 4 or 5 bikes and riders easily without having to take a single bike apart.

Now Ive got a wrx with coilovers. not very comfortable, not very practical, but taking freeway offramps at 60-70 mph is a blast.

19. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Most of the buses around here that I see run on a decent percentage of ethanol, a fuel made from corn.

20. [BMF] Chris

[BMF] Chris GTA MUTHER FUCKER!

04' SVT Focus, though i miss my 94' chevy blaver, it was so much fun..............