custom aluminum frame

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by netto, Sep 8, 2004.

1. netto

netto New Member

looking for a place that will make a quality custom aluminum frame

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

yeti. bring arm/leg/first born

3. cogmog

cogmog Member

just buy a Koxx

4. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

there are so many 1000's of companies doing aluminum trials frames, u can def find one that fits your geo

5. WhiteRavenKS

maybe he actualy wants something custom.... something that is unique and his own... kind of like what many people look for in a steel or ti frame but he wants aluminum. "just get something thats already out there" might not be what hes looking for. but then again, i am probably wrong.

6. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea thats true..... considering the price though, a custom aluminum frame might not be worth it...

7. WhiteRavenKS

perhaps there is a land where money grows on denim jeans?

8. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

9. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

its just odd, i never thought of a custom aluminum frame, i dont know y, i just thought custom frames were avail as light weight steel frames and TI frames....but ive pretty much always had aluminum frames, i suspose it could be a good option when the time comes if im looking for a super light frame....

10. BrettM

BrettM New Member

I dunno what super light is but with 2 layers of powder coat my Peyto weighed in under 4 pounds. If I went with a reynolds or a regular style rear end of the bike it would have came in around 3.2 or 3.3 pounds and be tougher than any aluminum bike of the same weight any day, however that doesn't make it tough enough for trials. Super light is over rated. Good geometry is where its at.

11. Crtd

Crtd Member

If you want a 1500g custom alu frame just ask Yasec (Hungarian frame builder) [email protected]

12. netto

netto New Member

im thinking of getting sumthing that would hold up for running a 8" disc in the rear.
    i really want to run dual discs.
    1065-1080 wheelbase
    14.97-15.15" stays
    8-12mm rise in bb
    if anyone knows of a frame that fits these specs that would be great
    whats the geometry on that mbk bike that thibault marriaux is running? is it available?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  13. Crtd

Crtd Member

Some pics from Yasec.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Can I ask why aluminum? I know Brisa has been able to handle the stress, but the whole fatigue factor of aluminum and all that is sorta sketchy with that rear disk.

As for your geometry you could try stealing my bike when I get it. It is 1065, 15 inch stays and the bb is 12 mm rise as well as dedicated 8 inch rear disk front and rear. It's steel tho.

15. netto

netto New Member

do you find that peyto u had alot flexier than the levelboss?

16. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Yes and no. You will notice it for your first 10 minutes on the bike. I switch between the Koxx and Peyto all the time and the Peyto always feels stiffer but that is because of the parts and tire pressure and what not. Obviously the Koxx is stiffer and it is noticable, but I'm not really too into the stiffness thing. Its by no means anything that will affect how well you ride.

It is sorta like comparing splined middleburn cranks to tapered middleburn cranks. Yes there is a difference, but you won't notice it for long at all. Way way back when I thought of custom I wanted aluminum as well. A big part of that was the stiffness thing. Then I started trying a few frames with different parts and what not and realized you can make way more of a difference with the parts you run than what your frame is made of.

17. netto

netto New Member

how much would a peyto be?

18. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Just regular tubes it is 900 cnd with paint and shipping and everything included. With a Reynolds 853 front end it is 1100 with paint and shipping. Reynolds 853 will drop about a half pound off the bike. I did it to my old one but won't be using it on the new one. Then if you wanna start adding goofy things like a disk tab or maybe maggie mounts or anything custom he adds a couple of bux. I haven't seen a cheaper custom frame on the net yet...

If you aren't too familiar with what 900 cnd is just for comparison a fully custom bike from Peyto is the same price as a regular Koxx Level Boss 1065.

He has a site if you wanna check it out.

http://members.shaw.ca/peyto/

If you want you can email him questions directly or I'll keep trying my best to answer.

19. netto

netto New Member

hmm i'll look into it

20. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Brisa falls into that catagory doesn't it? The Megamo Equip is a 1060 wheelbase I think, and it uses and 8in disc in the rear, has a 12mm BB height, and 15" stays...

But hell, with those dimensions, you're pretty much leaving yourself open to every UCI frame out there, well, cept for the disc part...