Observed Trials banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
i might do a more thorough review later on if people actually are interested, but here are some bullet points.

good:
  • fork and frame are stiff as fuck when riding
  • geo is nice and responsive
  • fork brake mounts are super stiff
  • lighter than the last one

bad:
  • rear brake mounts are too shallow to fit most washerless clamps properly (they will bottom out on the frame), and also the weld on the seat stay stops you from moving them back far enough to get it completely centre on a hashtagg rim (probably not an issue with the stock crewkerz mounts + crewkerz rim)
  • rear brake mount threads don't go very deep (probably only like 4mm of thread going into the rear ones before the bolts bottom out). **note** I'm taking this comment back as with my new setup I'm getting 9mms of thread in. don't ask.
  • rear brake could be stiffer tbh. it's pretty stiff, but i would like it as stiff as the fork.
  • supplied freewheel is snap crackle and pop town (this is on another person's jealousy, not mine. glad I'm using the hope)
  • stepped thru-axle doesn't play nice with the hope pro 2 trials. i just snapped the hub axle today after 1.5 months of riding (less glad i'm using the hope)
  • tire clearance kind of sucks with hashtagg rim (tip of vee rubber tire rubs ever so slightly on the brake brace thingy)
  • crankset+bb creaks like crazy if you don't reassemble everything with lots of grease/anti-seize/retaining compound

even after all that crap, it's still the best bike i've ridden. the little quirks that i've had to deal with are super annoying, but i'm tackling them one by one as they come and hopefully solving them for good. i would probably be a lot more pissed off if i bought the FFW setup and couldn't have a reliable drivetrain, but apparently bonz is coming out with a splined version of their 135 freewheel soon so we'll see if that's any good.

·
cleanzine.co.uk
2,948 Posts
Was the Hope axle you snapped an alloy one? If so, that's more the hub than the frame. A few people had similar issues with Skyes, so Hope started making a steel version of the axle too. It weighs about the same as a car, but it's a lot stronger.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Where can I get one of these bikes!? Sounds wild and wicked probably reasonably priced too! It's an on going comic reel with these bikes and racing line brakes lately. Another thing is the tensioner is not very strong unless both of you like the chain slap.

·
cleanzine.co.uk
2,948 Posts
Yeah pretty sure it was the alloy one. You have a couple of emails from me waiting at tarty on Monday concerning axles =p
If it's just a standard Trials (either Pro 2 Evo or Pro 2 Evo 40T) hub that's come with a 12mm axle, it'll be the alloy one as standard. They didn't/don't make the complete hubs with the steel axle, that was kind of a custom spares and aftermarket thing they started doing for Inspired, and then for us to buy from them. They're not even doing the steel version for the Pro 4, although that's mainly because the Pro 4 axle doesn't step down to the smaller diameter under the freehub body so they're hoping it'll be strong enough in alloy.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
If it's just a standard Trials (either Pro 2 Evo or Pro 2 Evo 40T) hub that's come with a 12mm axle, it'll be the alloy one as standard. They didn't/don't make the complete hubs with the steel axle, that was kind of a custom spares and aftermarket thing they started doing for Inspired, and then for us to buy from them. They're not even doing the steel version for the Pro 4, although that's mainly because the Pro 4 axle doesn't step down to the smaller diameter under the freehub body so they're hoping it'll be strong enough in alloy.
Yeah I'm like 99% sure this is the alloy axle, I just don't want to confirm it because I don't remember what the part number was. Right now it's looking like I'll be trying to get the steel axle and looking at thru-axles from other bike companies to see if they have anything similar to the Crewkerz w/o the step (the axle uses the same thread as a MAXLE). Banshee was looking into making titanium MAXLEs like 4 years ago... unfortunately it looks like that project fell through.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Albert!
The front brake must be crazy stiff!!
My bike has a Nano 28 mounted on the rear, stiffest brake I ever tried. Not even riding a booster. Could never set-up a Nano on any other frame without a solid 4 bolts, was too flexy.
My rear tire is also super close to that weld!!

Although, I am satisfied with my FW up to now. But I didn't ride as much as you guys due to the snow.
I have RL brake mounts on the rear, yes the brake touches the frame, but it's not impossible to use those clamps. The lower the brake is, the more the tube will be loaded in flexion, less in torsion. That's what makes their brakes stiff compared to other brands.

I am prefectly centered on my Crewkerz rim with the mounts but I am at the maximum adjustment point.
The Clean and TNN clamps are the ones offering the most vertical adjustment, they could help your case.

You have the aluminum axle, trying to find a steel for you!

BY FAR the best bike I ever rode.
Through axle is just perfect, so annoying that the wheel on any other set-up always end-up to move a bit
Can't live without a chain tensioner now
This bike is SO stiff. That's the best. Being a big guy, I hate to feel the bike twisting for no reason, this one is just following your orders!
The MT7 is amazing!
Taper fork is a must, happy that most of the brands followed the path.
2 piece crankset is also a great move, PS30 like this one and Clean coming out soon are the best, no weak cups ( Albert... the Try-All!! )
The geo is just amazing. Lots of people here complain about the pogo trend, this shorter and lower geo, with the 145X25 stem and NOT rolled forward bars is surprisingly all around. I ride moto trials and this bike feels the best to have some moto inspired moves in my riding. I had a Slate XL with longer stem and rolled over bars, ohh boy that the Crewkerz geo is better :)

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Albert!
The front brake must be crazy stiff!!
My bike has a Nano 28 mounted on the rear, stiffest brake I ever tried. Not even riding a booster. Could never set-up a Nano on any other frame without a solid 4 bolts, was too flexy.
My rear tire is also super close to that weld!!

Although, I am satisfied with my FW up to now. But I didn't ride as much as you guys due to the snow.
I have RL brake mounts on the rear, yes the brake touches the frame, but it's not impossible to use those clamps. The lower the brake is, the more the tube will be loaded in flexion, less in torsion. That's what makes their brakes stiff compared to other brands.

I am prefectly centered on my Crewkerz rim with the mounts but I am at the maximum adjustment point.
The Clean and TNN clamps are the ones offering the most vertical adjustment, they could help your case.

You have the aluminum axle, trying to find a steel for you!

BY FAR the best bike I ever rode.
Through axle is just perfect, so annoying that the wheel on any other set-up always end-up to move a bit
Can't live without a chain tensioner now
This bike is SO stiff. That's the best. Being a big guy, I hate to feel the bike twisting for no reason, this one is just following your orders!
The MT7 is amazing!
Taper fork is a must, happy that most of the brands followed the path.
2 piece crankset is also a great move, PS30 like this one and Clean coming out soon are the best, no weak cups ( Albert... the Try-All!! )
The geo is just amazing. Lots of people here complain about the pogo trend, this shorter and lower geo, with the 145X25 stem and NOT rolled forward bars is surprisingly all around. I ride moto trials and this bike feels the best to have some moto inspired moves in my riding. I had a Slate XL with longer stem and rolled over bars, ohh boy that the Crewkerz geo is better :)
I can see why it might have sounded like I hate this bike since I had more bad points, but that's totally not the case. It's still the BEST bike I've ever ridden no question!

If you're looking for another option for brake clamps, the Neon Wing clamps offer more adjustment than the racing line and don't bottom out on the frame (it's what I'm using now). The TNN and Clean clamps won't fit because they will hit the weld/frame.

·
cleanzine.co.uk
2,948 Posts
Sounds like some of you dudes need to set your bikes up better then, haha. The ones I've seen ridden over here have been as quiet as any other bike? As an example, in that 'Hour with Carthy' video you can only hear bike noises there and I don't think there were any creaks or anything like that, just brake noise and freewheel click.

Yeah I'm like 99% sure this is the alloy axle, I just don't want to confirm it because I don't remember what the part number was. Right now it's looking like I'll be trying to get the steel axle and looking at thru-axles from other bike companies to see if they have anything similar to the Crewkerz w/o the step (the axle uses the same thread as a MAXLE). Banshee was looking into making titanium MAXLEs like 4 years ago... unfortunately it looks like that project fell through.
I reckon you'd be fine with just switching to the steel axle. I think Carthy had that done as standard on his, and as far as I know he didn't break one. The people on Skyes who snapped alloy axles didn't break the steel ones either. But yeah, I'm sure someone will pick your e-mails up in a little bit when we're in work and we can get something sorted out for you :)

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
We are calling them Creakers now since the bikes literally cry when u ride em.
Hey, my creaking problem has been fixed for a couple of weeks now, it's the other "pimp my ride" guy who still needs to do his :p

I reckon you'd be fine with just switching to the steel axle. I think Carthy had that done as standard on his, and as far as I know he didn't break one. The people on Skyes who snapped alloy axles didn't break the steel ones either. But yeah, I'm sure someone will pick your e-mails up in a little bit when we're in work and we can get something sorted out for you :)
Thanks Mark! Yeah it looks like I'm just gonna give the steel axle a go for now. It's been a huge PITA trying to look for a replacement axle that will fit w/o going custom.

·
cleanzine.co.uk
2,948 Posts
Yeah, the lack of a standardised system sucks in that sense. On the plus side, if you do need to go custom it should be pretty simple for someone to make. Hopefully you won't need to though, the steel axles seem to do the trick for the most part.

In related news, your order's been checked and packed by the Stan and Cap dream team. You should get the tracking e-mail in an hour or two :) EDIT: The notification just came through for us at least, the eta is before 12pm on Tuesday.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'll be joining the Crewkerz team next week when my new Guilty frame gets here. Stoked to try out what they think a street frame should be. The numbers are all right. We'll see...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Good news!
Let us know how it performs.

121 - 135 of 135 Posts