Crank bolt torques?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by cousinkenni, Nov 19, 2004.

1. cousinkenni

cousinkenni New Member

Hey guys,

Any body know the crank bolt torque specs for Middleburn RS7s? Truvativ uses 30-35 ft-lbs, Race face uses 40 then 35 ft-lbs for subsequesnt tightenings. My cranks didn't come with any paperwork/specs.

Please don't answer with "till it stops" or "till it gets tight". No offense but it won't help.

Thanks

Ken T.

2. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

40 ftlbs, but check you bbs torque too

3. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

4. cousinkenni

cousinkenni New Member

Thank you for your input xxxfr but I just wrote middleburn. Not that I don't trust your word but I would like to double check. I was hoping to install them this weekend, but I guess I will have to wait till monday/tuesday when they get back to me.

5. [BMF]Andy

[BMF]Andy New Member

You must be the most patient person in the world. As soon as I get new bike parts there is no waiting before they are installed, directions or not.

6. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

On a similar, thread-jacking note, how important really is it to get exact torques for the various bolts on a bike? I usually just go by the "20 ft-lb's is the same as 5lbs from my hand on a inch lever arm" kind of measurement - ballpark but not exact. Anybody know if it really makes any difference?

7. KeepRollin

KeepRollin New Member

It has to do with bolt preloading. A bolt is the strongest when it is preloaded properly. Those values are most likely the value which will give you the strongest attachment. I never worry about it. I tighten as much as I can with my allens. (though I don't have the super long allens) I haven't busted any bolts/stripped threads yet and they never come loose.

8. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

technically....yes, but no

9. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

just use commonsense. If you're tightening an m5 steel bolt into an aluminium thread, go gentle. If you've been supplied with a fuckoff big m12 steel bolt and a matching hardened female thread, go nuts. Consider the vibrations and forces that the bolt will experience and whether overtightening will bind or bend anything.

The bolts that hold your brakes onto the posts, for instance, I see people overtightening all the time, and then they complain that their brake arms return slowly...duh...

- Joel

10. cousinkenni

cousinkenni New Member

In case anyone cares (not that anyone should with the responses I got back) the correct torque on Middleburn RS7 crank bolts is 20 ftlbs.

Ken T.

11. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

it's good to know that for sure...I'll be installing a new pair of rs7s soonish...

...of course I don't have a torque wrench...

- Joel

12. Turtlehead

Turtlehead Guest

Seriously, I can't believe anyone would truly worry about the exact torque for their cranks, just put the stupid things on and go ride. If you don't know if you've tightened the bolt enough or not, then you probably shouldn't be doing your own work. To put off riding your bike because you don't know the correct torque is THE MOST ABSURD thing I think I've read on this site...

13. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

turtlehead, PLEASE dont tell me you work at a bike shop.

14. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

Dude, fuck up. Some people spend shitloads of money on nice bits, if they're not confident, they shouldn't just jump in. You're confident, and you're mostly right. Good for you. It's not like that for everyone else.

Advice can never hurt you. Kenni, ignore this shit.

- Joel

15. Turtlehead

Turtlehead Guest

Lol,
    amazing how the trials world changes in just five years... from a bunch of guys riding to a bunch of guys who can't ride their bike unless they have the perfect torque. And then those guys who want the right torque go online to a forum where they are fed wrong information... tis a sad day

16. cousinkenni

cousinkenni New Member

Turtlehead,

You just shouldn't post, you only sound like an IDIOT! If you look at my post it said:

"I was hoping to install them this weekend, but I guess I will have to wait till monday/tuesday when they get back to me."

No where did I ever say that the torque was preventing me from riding. I am still waiting for a wheelset from webcyclery. I figured since I had all the spare time I might as well install everthing else CORRECTLY while it is new. I tend to save the jerry-rigging and hacking till after the parts are worn and not working properly.

Come to think of it, Mike was right people like you are the reason why I do all the work myself.

As for the guys on the forum, sure there is some "wrong information" but there is some good stuff from people like Kevin, Bill, Roman, Adam once in a while Elan, Andrew, Joel.

But hey, if you want to keep talking shit do it!
    Like beef, fly Hawaii brah, we show you one good time!

Ken T.

17. Turtlehead

Turtlehead Guest

Lol, yep... cause I sound like an idiot when you say to read your post. That I did... I'd surmise that anyone else reading your post assumed that you were not riding these new parts because you were waiting for a reply... so maybe I sounded like an idiot to you, but maybe you just didn't include all the information needed... but hey... I'm stoked to have pissed you off. I hope we can ride together sometime.

18. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

Turtle, five years ago you were one of those noobs who asked everyone for advice, don't make like you were as cool as you are now from the get go.

This is a small sport and assholes like you who just want to prey on people online are going to make it as snobbish, elitist and unappealing as...photography !

- Joel

19. netto

netto New Member

why would you bother posting that....

20. netto

netto New Member

unless you are retarded and have no life like me