crank/bb problems

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by aj2four0, Jun 14, 2004.

1. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

So i know my bottom bracket should be fine because its brand spankin new. The cranks however, are older. I'm experiencing some slight ... a venture to say.. bump while pedaling.

its hard to explain, but when i pedal to just ride, everytime my pedals get close to parallel with the ground the kinda jump a little bit. I can feel it through the balls of my feet. I had problems with my carnks comming lose, and it seemed to fix the problem when i'd tighten them, but now, even after gettin them nice and tight, i'm still experiencing it.. are my cranks messed up forever?... let me know what you think..

i'm riding on a lx spline bb, with lx hollowtech cranks. thanks.

2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

well i could be wrong but i dont see how its your cranks that are causing the problem. sounds like some sort of ovalization/misfit in the bb somewhere...

3. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

My cranks have been doing the same thing on my Pure. My problem is that the non-drive cup on the BB is loose when I feel is "bump". If your cranks are tight you may want to check the BB. Mine gets so loose that I can rotate the non-drive cup with a screw driver without removing the crank arm.

4. B1105

B1105 New Member

maybe your pedals are a little loose? I had that problem and the pedals were coming out of the crank since the threads were ruined

5. Elan

Elan steve french

yes. all of these sound relevant. what you need to do is:
    1: tighten BB, very tight
    2: grease the interface between the cranks and BB, a lot of grease is good
    3: use a different set of pedals
    4: go ride and see if it still happens
    5: chances are your older pedals were crap.
    6: pick up sticks

6. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

grease the part the crank arms slide onto?.. oops.. sure didn't do that... well, the problem is, i don't have a pusher-puller thing. so,,,, gettin those arms off.. = impossible, maybe i'll have to go buy one today. man, i hate having dumb problems liek this, thanks for the replies!

7. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

i think i partially screwed the threads up on the crankarms.. but i retightened the pedal and i'm not gettin movement out of it anymore, originally that is what i thought it was 2. but it happens on both, and only one was loose at all.. ahhhh... i'll check the bb out.

8. PJL

PJL War is Peace

If it turns out to be the bb being loose, instead of locktite-ing the bb shell, try using plumber's tape on the threads. It is a white teflon 'tape' that provides a water-tight seal for pipe threads, but it also works very well to hold stuff in place. I just did this on my bb as the even the high strength locktite wouldn't hold for very long. You can get the tape at any hardware store, it is very cheap as well.

Also, I hope you already have the correct bb tool and crank puller as they can make a simple adjustment very expensive. You can get by without a crank puller (pm me for details), but you need the bb tool.