Crank/BB problem

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by cck, Mar 8, 2004.

1. cck

cck Member

i recently noticed that when spinning the crank (tryall isis on fsa plat. pro) that the chainline moves back and forth. upon further inspection i realized that the crank/freewheel was moving back and forth as if it was warped. i was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. i'm not sure if i have a warped bb spindel or warped (or misalligned) isis threads inside the crank. thanks for any info

2. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

probably just your crank arm.. remeber, nothing is perfict.. :)

3. Pancho

Pancho Member

My echo cranks started doing the exact same thing three days after I put them on. It's just bent on mine, probably from doing four 9 foot drops in two days with no style.

4. cck

cck Member

pancho, what did you do after that? can you get em warrantied? mine seem to have come like that because they are practically brand new. or do i have to live with it?

5. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Live with it, i've never had a front freehweel set up that didn't do that..

6. cck

cck Member

but i want my bike to be perfect :wtc: :( :wtc: :wtc: :wtc: :(

7. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

stop riding it then

- Joel

8. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

Yo Cam, that is just the nature of freewheels. They have the slight wobble action to them. It's not your cranks or bottom bracket or brain playing tricks on you. It just due to the fact that the driver body (inside of the freewheel) rests at a slight angle due to the threads of the cranks, when compared with the bash ring. When the teeth rotate around the driver body that angle causes the teeth to translate slightly in the z plane, giving you a "wobble".

9. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

yep, mine does so to.

speaking of freewheels, my echo one skipped three times tonight and is making bad sounds. i have only had it for a week.

10. Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx Guest

speaking of freewheels, my new White Industries trials FW is cranking along with zero problems. have had it for almost two weeks. (well, on the bike anyway)

11. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

My ACS wobbled, but the WI that I installed at Motorama doesn't wobble at all.

12. arny p

arny p Guest

acs freewheel need to have thread lock put onto them to keep them tight

13. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

the wobble isn't really a wobble. It just that all freewheel's rest at a super slight angle when screwed on the cranks. When the cranks rotate, the "wobble" look is due to this slight angle. If you don't have the wobble those are some crazy threads on your cranks.