Coust vs top of the line Koxx

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by jimmybikes, May 4, 2004.

1. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

I just went out with Jeremy to watch him ride his new bike. I thought the bike would ride like the top of the line Koxx.

Let's just say it doesn't.

Jeremy will be on the new bike for the comp!!!

It is like no bike he has ever rode, much stiffer than the Koxx and it does not have the same geometry either.

It is with out a doubt the fastest he has ever adjusted to a new bike.

Jim VanSchoonhoven

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

cool.

im still getting to know my bike a little bit but i felt so good on it within the first ride... i coudlnt believe how fast i was able to pick up stuff on it.

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

More like it crushes that POS desalvo ;)

4. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

The geometry bike is more like the Koxx on the Desalvo.

From watching Jeremy ride I would say the Coust fits Jeremy better and there is no doubt he rode it far better than he can ride either the koxx or the DeSalvo.

The DeSalvo that Jeremy has is stiffer than the Koxx but not as stiff as the Coust bike. Jeremy likes steel better than aluminium, because it lasts longer, but we will see how this bike lasts. Jeremy broke the Koxx bike in weeks, but the place where he broke it is much different on the Coust bike.

When Jeremy was in France the Coust brothers both said they are really strong frames. They have problems with finding forks that last, not frames.

We will see what happens.

So far all we can see that is better than the DeSalvo is the geometry, if the bike lasts, it will be a great bike.

Jim VanSchoonhoven

5. TRA

TRA this is very uninteresting

What excactly do you mean by saying "so stiff bike ! stiffer the better" , shouldnt rear ends on frames be flexxy to give bounce , i see that as an advantage , dont you mean the rear end ? someone who will clear it up a little better? someone who Knows .

6. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

What fork is Jeremy using on his Coustellier?

7. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

yay tra is cool. Good to see you on this board.

And yea does someone want to clear that up? the whole Echo "supa flex" frames and then all these guys who want super stiff frames.

I know my old Zoo boa was super flexy. and that my Megamo is really stiff. But does it actually do that much?

8. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

My understanding is that a flexy rear end is potentially better for sidehops as you can preload and then spring up with the frame giving you an extra boost. However when doing gaps a flexy rear end will just suck up some energy this reducing the total power transfered to the rear wheel.

The biggest problem with the flexy rear end is that it is a sure death for alum which has very poor fatigue life. So from the point of view of durability a stiff alum bike is a much better to a flexy one.

Hopefully somebody has a deeper insight on this issue than I do, and is also willing to share.

9. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

Kevin, after watching Jeremy ride I am not surprized to hear you are adjusting so fast.

This bike is wierd...it works better...at least for Jeremy a lot better...I think part of it is he was still too cramped up on the DeSalvo!

I have tried to have him make a longer bike for himself, but he was afraid to do it. This bike is longer and yesterday he could do things on it that he had not been able to do on any other bike.

To be honest we are shocked, we thought the Koxx and this bike would ride about the same, for Jeremy this is not true. Jeremy liked his DeSalvo better than the Koxx, but thought both bikes were good, but I think he knows now, he needed a longer bike.

I am interested in learning what all they did different from the Koxx, it is no secret that Jeremy had the DeSalvo patterned after the Koxx, so both of those bikes are about the same, Jeremy liked the DeSalvo better because it had less flex and was steel.

To be honest a good rider could ride any of those bikes and do well on them.

Jeremy is feeling a lot better about switching companys now. He had rode the bikes before, but he was still worried, because he loved the DeSalvo so much, but now he knows he can ride well on this bike too!

Happy riding Kevin.

Jim VanSchoonhoven

10. TRA

somone should make a program that made you analyze every move and such with different frames , to find out whats the best overall , ok who`s up for the task ??? :drool:

11. TRA

uhm .. your saying he needed a longer bike.. what did he ride the 1040 koxx or something ? then its no wonder why the coust feels better, there huge difference even between the echo pure 1060(1070 long) and the 1080 (1090 long)

12. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

There was a comment made in another post about how useful it would be if some riders tried many of these new frames so we could see a comparison from someone who had ridden many of the new frames that are available. Kevin (WhiteravenKS) has probably spent more time on more new frames then anyone else on here. I would like to see him try out a Pure with his components and write up a comparison of the Pure, Desalvo, XTP, Coust, BT Raven, and any others that I am leaving out.

13. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

There are programs that perform finite stress anaylysis. You specify the material, structure compoistion and force vectors. Then based on the resulting computation you can make a deduction. However such computations have to be verfied in practice so a rider with a robot like consistancy must be chosen to perform the test accurately.

But I think as Jim said, a good rider could do well on any of those bikes.

14. TRA

hmm ok , you offering me a job RomanC ? :drool: . haha , im only joking

15. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

the xtp or which one? That's strange.. I think the XTP is a very strong frame, such as the levelboss. I had a levelboss, and now ride the xtp. So I know what I'm talkin about :)

16. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

That would be great if for no other reason than to completely geek out on a trials bike. I think Nicolas Vouilloz (sp?) did some testing on a DH rig with sensors set up all over the bike to detect suspension movements, flex, and all kinds of other data to try to determine which type of shock to use, damping settings and frame changes to reduce flex/gain efficiency. It certainly would be interesting to do that to a series of different trials bikes.

17. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I love how you say the desalvo was much stiffer than the XTP (which is what jeremy was on, and which the desalvo's geometry had copied).

I ride an XTP.

I've ridden the desalvo.

Stiffer? :hsugh: I especially like the sack cutter on the top tube- nothing like some added danger for your cross country cables! :bigthumb:

I've also ridden the coos, and if he jeremy breaks that beast I will poo poo my pants.

18. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Yep, your son is a badass :cool:

I hope this coust lasts a long time for him, it seems to be a pretty beefy frame. Jeremy is pretty damn smooth, but those big moves he pulls must really take a toll on his frames!

Thanks for all the input :bigthumb:

Bill

19. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

Jeremy has always felt his DeSalvo was stiffer than his XTP. That is what he thinks, others can disagree, he is only one person.

Jeremy is hard on bikes, but his DeSalvo bikes would last at least six months which is a long time for a Jeremy bike! Steel can take more punishment for the same weight.

I don't know for sure why his Koxx broke so fast, it could have been a wierd accident. I believe they are good frames and have not heard of other breaking them.

As some folks have pointed out some people like more flex in their bikes than others do. It is helpful for some things and harmful for others. Jeremy likes a stiffer bike, but at times will go with a lighter bike with more flex. Each rider needs to fit their likes with the right bike.

The Coust brothers like a stiff bike and they go very big, but others who like more flex also can go huge.

Jeremy is out doing his second test ride on the bike today, he went to Ashland to ride with Seth! Who just moved into the area, and I have heard is a low level expert rider!!!

Have fun and I hope to see some of you in action this week-end>

Jim VanSchoonhoven

20. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Well, I've heard that most of the euro guys break their xtps every 3 or 4 months, which is why I was :eek3: by Jeremy's 3 or 4 weeks. I'm glad to hear that Seth is up there, already has a riding buddy, and it sounds like things are going well :).