Coust owners, this one about fork length andrew, robbie

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by dingus, Dec 8, 2004.

1. dingus

dingus Member

So. The frame has a steeper head angle than some, it also is shorter than some, it also has a lower bb than some(level).

I was wondering how much affect a longer fork like a 420 Knifen has on this bike. I can see pros and cons to longer forks.

Andrew, you are getting a 400mm fork for your pure? So, that bike has a 71-72 degree headtube angle, and a +10 bb(?), anyway, if you put a shorter fork on I think it will become closer in geo to say a cous with a longer fork ...kinda sorta maybe perhaps, your opinion please.

Mr Phunder, do you like your bike as is or would you consider a shorter fork? You are taller than most and that makes a difference I know. Any complaints though? thank you

Im just curious. Ive been thinking about stems and forks and so on and I was wondering if I should use the 420 with a low stem or a 400mm fork with a higher stem. To make me impartial I have at the moment a nice 105 x 10 stem that I think would compliment a 420 fork much better than a 400- atleast for me.

If you made it this far, thanks; I tried not to write like a scatter brain but thats hard for me.

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

400 fork. higher stem.

when i rode the coust with a pure fork, it rode like crap. i hated it. i was glad when the fork broke. the wheelbase was like 1105mm with the pure fork- way way way too long for me but the cous rides better when it has something like a px 400mm fork on it. i have an urban on mine now and it rode better (though heavier) with the shorter px fork.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

get an urban fork.
    i know andrew is, or was, planning on getting a shorter fork like an urban. but that is on his echo pure frame... both graham and robbie ride the coust though. 400 is the way to go. robbie has the 400mm koxx fork, and before he had that he had the 400mm or shorter monty fork.

4. dingus

dingus Member

Thank you both.

Of course, now I cant order a knifen at cost. BTI has only 420's.
    Im already in the process of procuring an urban...

5. vince

vince Member

What does the cousts' Fournales fork measure in? I would assume its 400mm, but it looks super short to me. Can you buy Cousts still? (Kevin you should've released their video earlier:hs: , as in marketing)

6. WhiteRavenKS

i didnt release the video because i am lazy and i was being given no motivation to help them. might go so much as to say the opposite was the case. the fornulae forks are at the most 400mm forks. i never got an exact measurement but they are short, and have almost no rake.

7. Mehukatti

Mehukatti Guest

don't put knifen on it. it will look horrible as the legs are so thin.

8. WhiteRavenKS

yes, looks matter more than performance.

9. digby

digby New Member

I just stuck one of these on the back of my coust

[​IMG]

I find it helps keep my back end stable at speed.

10. Tipsy Jock

Tipsy Jock Guest

even then i still wouldn't put a knifen fork on a coust, why bother spending a fortune on a lightweight comp frame then putting 1.5 kg's of fork on it!

Pete

11. digby

digby New Member

the coust is not a lightweight frame. It weighs in at almost 5 pounds. Whats an xtp or a light echo weight in at? 3.75. I would say the coust is a stiff competition oriented frame.

12. WhiteRavenKS

indeed digby. the cous is not light. putting a new kniffen on it isnt that much of a travisty.
    edit- the new kniffen isnt 1.5kg... mine weighs out to be about 2.25 pounds. which isnt even a whole mcdonnalds royal with cheese heavier then the koxx forxx.

13. dirty

dirty Guest

PS: you dont need to order a kniffen through BTI, if you work at a shop just call up PX and get one direct from them.

14. MikeTheBike

MikeTheBike Active Member

I just heard about ten minutes ago from PX themselves in the US that they are out of Knifen Lites.

15. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I have a bike, i dont know anything about it. Its horrible for wheelswitches.