Coust - Got mine yesterday

Discussion in 'Your Bike Trials Media' started by smudge, Apr 28, 2004.

1. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

I finally got my frame yesterday and was momentarily very happy. The first thing I noticed when pulling the frame out of the box was that I was now the proud owner of a $700 rattle. I hadn’t intended to purchase a rattle, especially one so unwieldy and expensive as this.

Anyway, I took it into my shop, measured some stuff, checked the alignment and built it up.

I'm going to post more (with pics) this evening, but for now I'll say I'm none too impressed with the build quality of the frame. There were five steel bb's trapped in the frame, the rear end is out of alignment, the welds at the BB overlapped the BB face, and the welder partially welded through a vent hole on the seat stay; widening the hole and leaving what I'm sure is a pretty sweet stress riser. At first glance, this appears to be the second more poorly constructed frame I have ever owned.

I haven't ridden it yet. Oh and I HAVE NOT ridden it yet. My comments initially will be only in it's quality of manufacture. Hopefully I'll get to ride this weekend and will be able to post some positive opinions.

Sean

2. dr.gee

dr.gee Dr.Gee$

Same thing happened with my new Koxx Levelboss Mod frame. The metal bb was in the brake stay. So I got some glue and squeezed it into the drain hole at the bottom. The glue trapped that nasty bb and dryed over night. No BB noise makes GeeGee happy! PS: I was going to go insane :)

3. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

so, how dose it ride? ;) :joshers:

that kinda sucks, you would think they would have nasa weld the frame or somthing because it cost so much. :?

4. AndyT

AndyT New Member

haha....i had a rattle in my levelboss mod, so i sold it a few weeks later.

5. ty

ty Guest

i have a rattle in my pure now :greddy2:

6. B1105

B1105 New Member

i dont have a rattle in my zebdi

7. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Not that it matters since it is a 900mm wheelbase zebdi that sucks cock.

:joshers:

8. smudge

I haven't had a chance to ride it yet at all. I won't get a chance until the weekend. It's not in it's final build yet though. I'm waiting for Thomson to release their 31.8 stems so I have a freebie Ritchey on there for the time being. It's longer and lower rise than I'd like, but it'll do for now. I'm also waiting for some bar extensions to come in from a friend of mine so I can get those Monty bars to the width I want them. It's pretty much ready to go though. I'm looking forward to actually riding it. So much so, that I haven't properly set it up. I was hoping not to have to use a booster, but I think it's going to be necessary.

I'm not satisfied with leaving the bb's in the tube, so I put a dental type burr in my dremel and took out some of the slag from the vent hole in the BB shell. I opened it just enough to shake the bb's out of the frame. It's quiet now, but I'm not quite sure how they go into a tube that was completely closed off by slag.

I took some measurments last night too. When I find my angle finder, I'll post the actual head angle for those who were interested.

Wheelbase: 1077
    BB Height: 13.75

The other thing I noticed is the brake mounts are about 1mm too wide for the Magura mounting brakets to seat correctly. Not a big deal, they'll just need to be shaved down to seat right. Once seated correctly, some stress will be taken off the mounting bolts and the brake will be about 1mm closer to the center of the stay. I'll see if I can get a decent pic of what I'm talking about.

9. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Sounds like a nightmare especially after forking out that much mulla. Hopefully the ride will compensate for those deficiencies. Couldn't you also send back the frame if the rear end is out of alignment?

10. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Robbies had no issues with facing, no issues with the brake mounts, no rattling...actually its perfect.

Watch your body for after that first few rides, you'll be hurting :)

11. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

May i ask what fork and tyres you run please? (Trying to compare the wheelbase and BB height to my 1065...)

Cheers :)

12. AndyT

AndyT New Member

fyi tart, monty fork- michelin comp 24 2.2, michelin hot S in the front on robbies bike =

1115 wheelbase for the cous...another cat in towns bike is more around 1075 , with some gay blue forks (sorry ken i dunno wtf they are). No clue on bb height.

13. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

i know it was a joke..

14. smudge

It's not THAT big of a deal. The dropouts are just slightly off center and about 5-8 degress misaligned. I don't expect the wheel to spontaneously pop out or anything. I had very high expectations for this frame because of the price. I'd love to see a full cost breakout for these frames. I'm sure that no-one is making a tremendous amount of money from these, but I'm curious to see where the costs are buried. I'm guessing it's not in manufacturing. I'm definitely not sending it back though. I'm going to ride it or sell it. I'm sure I'll love the way it rides. I might actually go out to Frederick tonight if I can make it out before dark.

Sorry, I missed your winky guy. Been a hectic day so far.

Brisa fork. Mich 24.1 2.5 rear. Mich 24.1 2.2 front

Mr. Greenbaum: I'm happy for Robbie. Maybe my frame is an anomaly. Hopefully it's an anomaly.

15. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

my frame had no issues at all... sorry to hear about yours.

16. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

Thankyou gentlemen.

17. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, too many people getting in on top of the manufacturer.

Manufacturers get money
    Cousts get money
    importer gets money
    retailer gets money

that = too many middlemen, but I guess they only one we could really cut out is the importer... ship directly to the retailer and let him be the importer.

Oh well, I'm sorry to hear that your frame hasn't been manufactured to a very high standard. I definitely had high hopes for these and hope yours is just a fluke thing :hs:. Be sure to let us know how it rides.

Bill

18. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

maybe send it back? probably be worth it. contact coust and let them know that it didn't meet expectations (your frame specifically). im sure they'll sort ya out!~

19. KenC

KenC Member

My fork is a Tange steel fork (I belive), and it's black, not blue. I just measured my BB height and it's about 13" with a Maxxis Larsen TT 2.0 on front and Hansventure 2.35 on rear.

That sucks about your bike, I didn't have any issues either. But I think you will feel better after riding it!

20. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

Holy shit....I get so much money off these frames it's rediculous. Every night I come home, get naked and roll in all of the money I've made...while of course drinking only the finest of beers....PBR. Yeah, I know, PBR. I can afford it now....man this trials business is hot.

........okay, back to reality......sorry Sean that your bike had so much trouble, I can say confidently though that once you straddle that shiney stead, all will be forgotten......