Coust Frame (it's the awesome)

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by smudge, May 10, 2004.

1. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

Now that I've had the frame for a few weeks, have had some time to ride and am adjusting to it, I can definitely say that I'm seriously impressed with the way it rides.

It has been strange for me to get used to the way it feels since it's about two inches longer than my last bike (ES-4) but I'm finally adapting to it and am starting to love the way it feels. I'm not running a booster yet (because I don't have one that fits) but will definitely need to get one if I want to get away from using liquid tar on my rims. At 200lb, a grind, plaz pads and an RB lever aren't enough to keep my wheel locked. I suspect a booster would do the trick because there is significant flex of the stays. The thing I love most about the frame is its stiffness. Every other frame I've had would flex enough to allow the pads to drag on the rim when applying any power. With this frame, there's none of that.

I'm still trying to get past the stage where I'm re-learning everything that I used to be able to do without concentrating and at the same time, I'm trying to add some UCI type skills (going to front wheel).

The frame feels great. I couldn't be happier with the way it rides.

Sean

2. RobbieP

RobbieP OTN FOR A THOUSAND MORE YEARS I SAY

I wiegh exactly 200 lbs and I have virtually the same set-up (plaz pads, grind) and it locks up just fine... make sure the pads are hitting square and even. Also work on smoothness and moving your weight around so that you don't have to rely completely on the brakes.

3. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

What rims are you two guys running?

They material of the DX32 style rims is much harder than the 47mm Try-All rims, giving better braking (in mine and a lot of other people's experiences)

Glad you like the frame dude!

4. AndyT

AndyT New Member

robbie is running a megamo rim or something like that...with a good grind there really shouldn't be much slippage at all...

5. smudge

I'm using the Try-All rim. I'm not accustomed to grinding (I've been using Mavic Ceramic rims as long as I've been riding trials), so that could be the problem. I intently watched your grinding tutorial Andrew and feel that if I were pressing any harder into the rim, it would disintegrate. I'm using the grinding disc that came on the grinder I bought...I don't remember which model. I'll give it another shot at grinding and see how it goes, but the stays really flex a lot. The power of the RB lever contributes.

6. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

smudge,

i have a grinder that works fuckin great. im not gonna use it yet on the back, since im just gonna tear apart my old pads. come downtown and go riding with us. ill scratch up your rim for you then.

hopefully you dont kick my ass on the new frame.

7. Patrick

Patrick New Member

Smudge, I'm also running the Try-All rim with plaz pads and a grind. It slips just enough to annoy me, but I've had much worse. I ordered some Koxx pads so I'm hoping that will help. You should do the same.

People warned me that the Try-All rim has soft metal and would wear.. sure enough.. Thing wears like crazy. Mine doesn't flex enough to warrant a booster.

8. AndyT

AndyT New Member

smudge- you should literally easily be able to cut your finger on your grind if you touch it real fast. (like brush your finger down it really quick- red should flow).

9. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

yea that frame is awesome. i saw 3 of them yesterday at keyesville. the design looks good from what i saw, and the welding is awesome.
    one thing im surprised about is the booster-looking at the frame it was way reinforced. im surprised that you would need one....

10. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

Same situation as me... Ceramic + Koxx Bloxx = Awesome, but with the Try-All rim i didnt like the brake at all... in fact i had to tar it. The pads worked very well on a DX32/BMF/Megamo rim that i had though.

Now got some Coust pads, and it is awesome - best combo ive used on any bike so far. They are softer than the Bloxx, apparently Michel designed them this way so not to wear the grind as fast as well... cant comment on that yet, but braking performance is excellent, wet or dry.

(This is with an RB lever too :Wavey: )

11. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

Jeremy and I got back from the Keysville comp earlfy this morning, the bike was beyond anything Jeremy had hoped for.

However, being one of the US King of the VBrake fans, his brakes sucked big time. They were slipping alot.

He knows about the Coust pads and is getting them, they are great even on vbrakes! However he wants some of the RB Design brake levers, where do you guys find them???

Please help!

Jim VanSchoonhoven

PS,

The courses where with out a doubt the hardest course I have ever seen in North America except at the World Championships. It was a blast, I think there were about 40 riders, great judging and cool hand made awards!!!

12. smudge

I'm going to try to get up to Rock State park to ride this Sunday with Gary and crew. You're going to be there right? I'm going to try to find that other pad for you before then.

There's not much chance of me kicking your ass yet. My level of fitness is holding me back so much that I'm slow to regain all the skill that I lost from not riding for the past six months. I went for an MTB ride last night and, no matter what I did, couldn't get my heart rate to stay below 189. I almost thew up. THAT is awesome. So maybe, if you have a limb amputated, and I turn into some kind of wunderSean, you'll be in danger of an ass whoopin'.