CoppellStereo Brake Mod.

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by CoppellStereo, May 13, 2004.

1. CoppellStereo

CoppellStereo Ruff Rider

Hey guys, I did this sweet brake mod to my campus (road) and my urban/trails bike, and I thought yall might think its cool, for me that is. Before you know what it is, i have this disabily in my left arm where it is weak, and my hand is small and extremely weak (too small to grip the bar and brake properly). So I did a little thinking and this is what I came up with. I call it the CoppellStereo Brake Mod.

[​IMG]
    This shows both my bikes and my Mod. What I did was i ran 2 wires to one brake lever, so i will be able to use both front and rear brakes. On the road, I had to do some crazy drilling and grinding.

[​IMG]

I have it on a trials run on my urban/trials bike, and so far ive been able to do more stuff than I could before.

2. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Yo man props to you. :bigthumb: On both the design and riding trials with such a disibility. That amazes me really. :eek3:

Keep it up. I shure am going to be working harder on my trials bike from know on. :D

3. CoppellStereo

CoppellStereo Ruff Rider

Thanks :) :bigthumb: I hope I will learn some new tricks, I already today when i did it, I learned how to endo-roll up on a ledge, if thats what you want to call it.

4. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

how ingenious. is it easy to set up to get both brakes locking at the same time?

5. CoppellStereo

CoppellStereo Ruff Rider

It takes some adjusting, but I have it perfect right now. I really wanted to get a brake cable that splits from one to 2, but I dont know if they make such a thing.

6. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

they make them for bmx gyros, but i'm sure it would be super hard to adjust like that, you'd have to do it all at the calliper end.

7. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

very :cool:. I think this could also be set up for an hs33 if you had a line splitter. The only problem there would be your pad setup would have to be perfect because the lever throw would be long having two brakes on it. Anyhow, nice modifications :).

Bill

8. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

Nooooo, you guys are supposed to flame him like I did when he showed me. :O I dont think it's optimal for trials, but then again, you didnt tell me about some hand condition, might have been more accepting then. :p

9. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

oh my....some great ingenuity however as you start progressing in trials, independently controlled braking is a must. Even if your lefty is a little small, get an avid mech disk brake and have a machine shop modify you a custom lever blade. If you set it up right, you can set a real short throw so the lever doesn't hit the bar. Plus they're real easy to pull. Good luck with all your endevors...

10. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

Random idea for you:

[​IMG]

Red is a roller... means you can use a continuous one-piece brake inner cable... would even out cable pull (no need for fiddling to set it up), roll smooth (i imagine theres a lot of friction on that cable that comes out of the side of the barrel adjuster?)...

If anyone can tell what im on about from that 2-seconds-in-MS-paint doodle... then... have a medal :greddy:

11. CoppellStereo

CoppellStereo Ruff Rider

thats a good idea, would that be a whole new custom lever, or a mod to an existing, because i dont know how i wopuld have to of those green things there

12. JK

JK New Member

If you think you can run two levers...you could try an LX lever, they are really adjustable. Not sure how far your index finger on your small hand can reach, but if you take the spring out from behind the reach adjustment screw and put it back in with some locktight, you can adjust the lever reach way in. I have pretty short fingers for a guy my size. My levers are really inboard so they won't hit any of my other fingers when the brake engages.

I know my problem is not as severe as the one you mentioned, but I have to have my levers adjusted way in or I can't reach the levers at all with my puny index fingers. My brakes lock very close to the bar. The strength thing could be an issue, but the Avid mechanical is really strong with minimal pull.

Dang, nevermind....I really don't how your hand works so don't listen to me.

13. CoppellStereo

CoppellStereo Ruff Rider

yeah, pretty much only 3 of my fingers function, so when i take one finger off, or 2, then pretty much nothing is holding on to the bar on that side.

14. [BMF] Chris

[BMF] Chris GTA MUTHER FUCKER!

there is a xc racer in arkansas that only has one arm, his other arm is a metal claw witch he attaches to his handle bar when riding, he has a similar set-up, but apparently theres something that has already been made that spilts the line, i rode his bike and his brake were super smooth, i suggest looking for it..........

15. AndyT

AndyT New Member

pics of hands?

16. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

Yea, really. I didnt even notice your hand so it cant be THAT bad.

A worker at my LBS has a small hand also. His hand is like the size of my palm and he just has his brake where it locks up at the bar.

17. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Uownme, I think if he is saying he can't use the brake it's true.

Think about it if he has three weak fingers it would be comparable to two of your fingers but your weekest ones(pinky and index). Now how the fuck would you hold the bar in that case. I mean it's fine for riding around but trials??? I doubt it.

Andrew dude lay off. Pictures cmon man???? :slap:

18. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

:werd: i stand corrected.

19. Elan

Elan steve french

you sit when you pee. bitch

20. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Pictures of hand?