Cool chain tensioner mod thing.

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by alexm, Apr 26, 2004.

1. alexm

alexm Member

i thought this was pretty cool, i correspond with a guy from holland called Kees Vogel and he gets into making stuff for his bike and other things, he sent me some photos of this chain tensioner he made, which means you wont be breaking hangars, quite cool.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alex

2. Elan

Elan steve french

looks cool, but for some reason, i dont like the idea...

3. B1105

B1105 New Member

yea thatd be super useful, but it seems like a pain to get the wheel out, did he drill into his frame?

4. Elan

Elan steve french

he drilled a small hole into teh drop out..no penalty for strength id say, but everything looks too close

5. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

nice idea, it would also allow the chain more surface area on the cog, putting less stress on both. However i don't have any problem with my derailler so i probably would never do that to my bike.

6. alexm

alexm Member

did he drill a small hole into his dropout Elan? i dont see it. i know he is holding the tensioner on by the bolt that usually holds the hangar on. i dont see how it is just sitting in that position though.

7. Elan

Elan steve french

8. alexm

alexm Member

ok, i just thought that was the hangar bolt.

9. Elan

Elan steve french

it might be..but in the second pic you posted, you can see there are two bolts for his "hangar", so either way, there is at least one drilled hole in there..not that it makes 10 cents worth of difference in the dropout... but i just dont like the way it be, and as dolphin said, i am happy with my derailler just fine... however, it looks like an awesome idea that will hopefully see further development, because it has potential IMO .

10. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

hmmm... looks like a rohloff tensioner mounted on the upper inside of a dropout. with enough time and patience anyone could do this. very clever idea. props to that guy for thinking of this.

11. Elan

Elan steve french

ah yes, you could also mount it like 10-15mm lower, which i would like

12. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

very cool :bigthumb:

13. pav

pav New Member

does the chain rub heaps, that wouldnt be good...

pav

14. leedstrials

leedstrials Guest

This looks cool and could be the answer to all my hanger snapping!! any more info would be great!! looks like he has used short cage shimano derailer cage and put some kind of different hanger onto it!!

mike