Confused - Mag brake pads

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Serow225, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Serow225

Serow225 Guest

Alright, so last night I sat down and read through a ton of posts about pads for Maguras, but I'm still confused as to what to get.

I'm just starting trials. I have a Onza t-mag mod with HS33 F/R, without a booster and with the stock pads. The previous owner left a light/moderate grind on the rear.

The conditions around here are dry and not too dusty. I believe I have the brakes set up right - parallel to the rim, 1 mm away.

Right now, the braking isn't too hot especially in the rear. I have to pull on the lever quite hard for lockup, and it sometimes slips just getting up to the back wheel.

Given that at least for now I don't plan on grinding the back wheel any more than what it is now, what's a good option for pads? Are the Cousts available anywhere yet?

Thanks,
    Eric

1 person likes this.
  2. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

get CRMs if you dont plan on grinding, or spanish fly's if its wet much.

3. KeepRollin

KeepRollin New Member

Yeah, CRM's will get you through learning without a grind no problem. Every now and then you will probably have to clean off the pads (sand paper or rub em on some concrete) but they should hold well for all the basics.

On another note:

One way I find to check the pads without getting up on the rear wheel and testing fate is to hold the rear brake and jump up and down on just one foot/crank (I'd suggest your chocolate foot) and see if the rim slips through. If it doesn't your brakes are pretty much set for almost anything you can throw at them.

4. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

I suggest koxx bloxx, at least on the rear with the grind. they deliver incredible stopping and holding power far superior to any plazmatic pad. i know you didn't mention anything about wet conditions, but little android man did, and th spanish fly's don't work for shit in the wet(or in the dry), but koxx bloxx work just as well in wet as in dry.

all plazmatics have an extreme weakness to dust, no matter how small the amount. it gets annoying having to clean your rim n pads all the damn time.

i unfortunately don't know how the bloxx work on smoothe rims, but you should definitely get koxx bloxx for the rear. i have them on rear, and i have spanish fly's on the front. even with a grind the fly's arent even good enough for a front brake.

5. Spacemunkee

Spacemunkee Guest

you really do need some koxx bloxx mate they are worth every penny and you wont have any hassle from your brakes for months which atleast will give you some confidence especially if you are still learning like most of us. Soon as you buy the bloxx cut 3 large X's across the face with a hack saw about 1 - 2 mm deep this will keep the actual face cleaner especially with dusty conditions so the pads wont fade as you ride

6. Elan

Elan steve french

koxx blocks or crms, suggest both with a grind. they are both good.

7. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

im yet to feel anything better then my old crm setup, ive felt two sets of koxx bloxx both with grinds.

8. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

i did the X's they work great.

9. Spacemunkee

Spacemunkee Guest

yup they are well good :)

10. Turtlehead

Turtlehead Guest

I'm a true fan of the good old maguara original black pads with either a nice old grind or a day old spooge of tar..

11. AndyT

AndyT New Member

: oversizedUGHgif :

12. Serow225

Serow225 Guest

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'm going to order a Threshold and a pair each of the Bloxx and the CRMs. That way I can try both on the rear and put the losers on the front;)

Eric