Computer Shit

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by hydroboy, Nov 30, 2004.

1. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

I want to disconnect the power/reset buttons on my computer as it gives me the shits when my step mother turns it off in the middle, of for example, a coustellier video when im not at home. Is it hard to do? Is there anyway i can make windows not shutdown when the power button is pressed or change the 10 second time it takes for it to overide whatever and turn off? I really have no idea.

Dont tell me to get a download resumer.

2. AndyT

AndyT New Member

look at your motherboard settings, the power button and reset button are part of the case and there is a wire from each one that goes to your mother board...disconnect them... but I'm not sure how you would go about turning your computer on and off.

wait..i mean.. i dont know anything about computers.

3. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

Turning off is easy enough, turning on may be abit harder.

4. digby

digby New Member

This is far too technical a question for a trials board, where "why wont this video play" tends to confuse most people. But last time I looked at a motherboard manual, which sadly enough was today, there is nothing really available in the bios to disable the powerswitch once youve turned it on. However having said that, i know that with my system, pushing the power button once the systems on does not do shit, it stays on and to turn it off, I either have to shut it down properly from the os or reach around and click the power supply button(I have a abit kd7 mobo hooked up to a lian-li aluminum case). However if your handy with a soldering iron, you could always get another switch from radio shack and hook that up and put it somewhere else, leaving your orignal power switch as a decoy.

Of course, the easiest thing to do would be to just ask your mom to stop turning your computer off.

That or hooking up a small electrical charge to the power button.

5. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

Punch her in the face, to prove you're right.

6. PaulG

PaulG Releasing the Kitties

yea tis easy to do. you could do it ghetto or with class

ghetto:

just unplug the case's power and reset buttons from the motherbaord. they will be two sets of two thin wires, (usually at the botton of your Mobo in a tower case but not always.) the switches will now no nothing but you can't turn you computer on to do this you get a stanley flat head screw driver(yes it has to be stanley :p) and touch it to the two contacts that remain when you unplug the switches. presto.

the better way would be to get a couple more switches and say stick them round the back, Then use those, You should be able to find a couple easy just in the junk by the side of the road.

alternately you could just ask her not to but hey

7. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

Apparently it wastes to much power, so i checked this, uses like 15W when the moniter is off. Still it gets turned off. Gay.

Edit - PaulG used punctuation, madcore.

8. PaulG

PaulG Releasing the Kitties

I know tobey made me, he threw a brick thru my car window.

9. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

:rofl: You deserved it biatch! How do you think I knew where all your stuff was hey??

Indeed madcore, well done Paulio.

10. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

take the wires out of the switch and feed them through a hole in the back. touch the wires together to turn the computer on, hold them together for 5 seconds or whatever to turn it off. the switch will do nothing. just remove the reset switch altogether.

11. sharpe

sharpe Guest

i opt for toby's plan of action. save yourself a great deal of time and give her a whack in the face or a nipple gripple whilst threatening her with a rather large trolley pole.
    *take a picture*

12. ridesoul

ridesoul Guest

hahaha. some good ideas. without going into more complex methods that i probably shouldnt mention here for fear of making your brains explode, i would say the dummy switch with the real switch at the back would be your best bet.

-RS

13. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Go to your bios and turn on "Boot up after power failure"(or something similar). Then disconnect the power and reset buttons. And everytime you turn off your computer press "Restart" instead of "Turn Off" in windows. And when windows has finished shutting down and the comupter restarts. Flip the little switch on the back off the computers power supply unit. This will make the computer think there has been a power failure. So when you flip it back again the computer will turn on again.... This is what I did when I didn't have a power button.

14. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

Madcore, cheers. Bedtime.

15. atypical

atypical Guest

Damn, I thought I was a miser. Once I had an electricity bill of $11.87, and the bill was ~$8.00 b/c of refrigerator by itself. Just cough up the money the computer uses in electricity and leave the thing alone.

16. doctorT

doctorT Member

you could play with the power save options for your monitor and your hard drives and make the computer go on standby after 30 mins. or however long.

then your monitor would appear to be off and your tower would be making less noise because the HDDs are not spinning, and then to wake it up you just mash your paw into the keyboard.

17. ridesoul

ridesoul Guest

the problem with shutting down your HDDs is that if you are downloading something while you want your computer to look off, you still need the HHDs running. you shut em down and you cant download stuff while in standby.

-RS

18. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Everyone has basically answered hydroboy's question,

digby, computers made in the past 5 or 6 years or so have soft power down, a 4 second hold on the power button will shut it down.

19. digby

digby New Member

yup that sounds about right, at vs atx i'm guessing, I never turn my computers off so I'm not too familiar with the power button. I had a 360 day uptime going on my unix box till some shithead decided to cut power to the whole house.

Heres an even better solution to hydroboys problem. This gets a bit more involved, but is better overall than screwing around with all the other stuff and wiring switches in the back of your box.

instead, buy your self a nice SILENT powersupply, heatsink/fan, and maybe one or two silent intake, outtake fans. I recommend zalman or pcpowercooling, though it can get a bit expensive. Then pull the wires out from your motherboard that connect to the power and hard drive LED. not the switch itself, just the led(light). Then go get some dynamat(its used in cars to dampen vibration) and put 2 sheets on both intereior sides of your pc case. Also stick a small sheet on top of your hard drive. Make sure you have no cd's in your cd drive and boom, you should have one quiet ass computer. When I say quiet, I mean pretty much no noise. The perfect decoy. If you do it right, your mom will have no clue the things even on.

20. my.ark.4@gmail.com

[email protected] New Member

ya, you could physically disconect the power buton, but then you cant turn it on, the smart/easy way: (on xp at least) control panel>power options>advanced>when i push the power buton on my computer___________ turn it from shut down to do nothing. only problem is this may not work depending on your setup, if it does, its the easiest thing here.