Complete: A bad idea?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Stock, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

I just realized that there's nothing left on my bike that I wouldn't eventually like to replace, except for my pedals. I wondered if buying a complete bike, such as the pure on trialsin USA, a really bad idea, because it is a lot cheaper than buying all of the components/frame individually.

Thanks

2. cck

cck Member

i have the same thought all the time, but mainly because i just want to start off fresh with all new shit. for some reason i dont like having old and new stuff on the same bike. but ya, i would say getting a complete pure would be ok.

3. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

It should be cheaper to buy complete. As all the stuff is discounted. Since most of the trials stuff has to be bought from trials shops, you can just buy a complete ride from them and benefit from a discount.

4. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

Yeah

Yeah that's what I was saying but I wondered if it was worth putting up with not having the choices on everything you are getting (for example I have heard bad things about the Echo cranks)

5. B1105

B1105 New Member

It is true that when you buy a full bike it is cheaper, but also, you do somteims get crappy components(usually bottome brackets and cassettes). But for 1200 from Trialsin, I think the components spec is pretty nice, with the Marta (300 new), HS33, fork and wheelset.

6. B1105

B1105 New Member

BTW, has anyone been able to talk to TIM recently? I've been trying to order my Team but hes never there/always getting the message machine.

7. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

He is on vacation and going to be back soon. Also you have to take shipping cost in account. buying stuff from different places will just rape you on shipping cost. You might as well buy from a single place and then replace the very few components you don't like. (BB, tires etc) jensonusa.com ships tires for really cheap so it seems

8. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

Buy a complete bike from tim, those things are hooked up and with all the extra cash you will save you can get some tricked out other parts...sweet

9. pav

pav New Member

the complete echo/zoo bikes are pretty good IMO, my mate got one
    problems have been echo sent him wrong cassete thats it really
    you may want to upgrade cranks/bb from square taper though but they would last a while
    otherwise all else seems pretty good
    and dont forget to weld the ACS because they come with ffw so just do that and it will be good

pav

10. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

Weld the ACS? Why? I was thinking of buying the upgrade to the White Industries (because again it's cheaper than the price dif. between claws and WI trials) FFW=good, non?

11. Elan

Elan steve french

vincent hermance uses an ACS. it is ok to use i assume.

12. pav

pav New Member

vincent would weld his ACS for sure
    freewheels in trials come under alot of lateral motion compared to what they are meant for and they come loose as u ride and as they come loose the pawls do not line up and then the end of them get mangled and they get weaker and eventully it goes boom
    i have seen this first hand on my mates ACS, we pulled it apart and saw it
    we tightened it up as much as we could and it lasted 4 hours, we locktighted it and it lasted 1 week, what you should do is spot weld it. You weld on the twisty thing that holds it all together then it will work good, i have seen a welded ACS on an XTP and its actually good!

pav

13. fjas

fjas New Member

Echo welds the ACS for you now, so there is one less to worry about.

14. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

he means weld the lock ring on btw

15. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

Back to the question.If you are ok with a ft f\w and ecko ,a complete bike is a steal.I recently built a koxx for a friend using my inside deals.Frame,rr rim,rr king,tryall bar ,cheap headset,tires,cassette,chain,crank/bash,and pedals came to 1250.I gave him all the other parts.

You just cant beat that deal.Granted you will still want to replace a few parts ,but it will save you many benjamins.

16. Hardline

Hardline Member

I wonder if you were to call and ask them to put on the upgrades if they would and just charge you the difference in prices. Seems like it would be worth a shot to ask.

17. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Usually they give you an option if you want to upgrade parts. Webcyclery does that. I am sure Tim can do that as well.

18. B1105

B1105 New Member

Yea he does, but Tim doesnt stock that many parts I don't think so it may take longer with him. Either way you'll get a good bike I think.

19. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

So, anybody know legal, easy ways to make $1300?:dunno:

20. B1105

B1105 New Member