Colorado Springs Question

Discussion in 'Mountain States' started by B1105, May 9, 2004.

1. B1105

B1105 New Member

Hey there guys,

I'm located in Princeton, NJ but will be attending(I think) Barnetts Bicycle Institute this summer (like June25-July 11) in Colorado Springs. My question is, is this town small enough to get around by foot? Also, is there a lot to do other than biking, or should I bring my trials bike?(not bringing DH bike, too heavy) I'm gonna have one weekend free and basically every night free and since I can't rent a car, I'm kinda limited/bored. Please just let me know if there is anything fun to do for a 16 year old(no bars yet :rolleyes: )

Thanks

Byron

2. Elan

Elan steve french

bring your bike, you will regret it if you dont, there are like 4 or 5 riders there, alone. cosprgs is pretty big, not walking distance.

3. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

bring your bike. there will be rides almost every night this summer. people are cool in the springs, they would be willing to give a ride here or there im sure. co springs in a big city. you can get around by foot but you would be happier with wheels. as for fun stuff- ride. or you can go to church... or hang out with the gobs of various cool cats down there.

4. RobbieP

RobbieP OTN FOR A THOUSAND MORE YEARS I SAY

just out of curiousity why are you going to Barnetts? Half the stuff (ie: rebuilding 500 different shocks, learning about proper torque amounts, etc.) you don't even use when working at a bikeshop 99% of the time... although it does look good on an application. Just save your money and learn the basics yourself over time and experience.

5. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

a piece of paper from barnettes will get you a job wrenching for a pro team. years of shop experience wont. in general.

6. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

Coming out west are ya? Defenitely bring your bike, there will be as much trials as you can handle. As for walking, this town is pretty big, if you bring your trials bike that will be good enough to get around unless your trying to go site seeing.

7. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

what are you talking about brohahuhahaha? I went to barnetts and not only do I rip at trials but I couldn't tell you what a damn limit screw is...you wanna buy my 98 x-lite?

8. RobbieP

hhmm... that sounds like a guy that works at my shop... oh wait it is- he went to barnetts and then the 1st day of work at the shop he was asking me about limit screws, how to adjust the tension in the derailleur, and how to set up v brake pads on a 4100 entry level trek mt bike that he was building. But the next time someone brings in a 91 rockshox fork he'll know how to pop the seals and lube it up!

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

and yet somehow....he is getting all your hours :bigthumb:

10. RobbieP

EDIT: and you're gay :bigthumb:

11. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Hey just don't complain to me about a total retard getting all your hours.

do something about it.

12. RobbieP

actually i just got 15 more hours so..

13. AndyT

AndyT New Member

You need to be at 40 a week.

b1105- bring your bike.

14. RobbieP

I know.. heath said he's gonna give me more in a week or 2, then we will both be richer

15. Pancho

Pancho New Member

Barnetts is about a 5 minute walk from my front door. Also, I went to school with peter barnet, he was cool but smelled funny. Looking foreward to meeting you.

Pancho

16. B1105

B1105 New Member

Hey thanks for the responses guys, I will def bring my bike.

Crescent rider, your right, you don't learn that that much from barnetts. I've worked at a shop for two years now, and have never ever used that torque crap and all my repairs have come out fine, but as Kevin said, it will def help getting a job in college or something and itd be nice to go to colorado since I have been there only once in my life, but was too young to remember.

Look forward to seeing you guys, seems like a really nice trials community out there.

17. Pancho

Pancho New Member

So where are you staying out of curiosity?

18. B1105

B1105 New Member

Good question, any ideas for one person staying for like 2- weeks or so? According to Barnetts site, motels start at like $125 a week? So i guess thats not terrible, are their any like really close to the barnett school?

BTW< are there any nice bike shops in the area around the Barnett School?(just in case my bike gets hunked during flight since I may not be able to use the shop ironcase. We'll see.

edit: can I fly directly into CO Springs and get like a taxi to wherever and whatnot?

19. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

I dont know where barnetts is but yes you can fly right to colo spgs airport and your cab ride will only be for about 20 minutes thru town if its over by panchos house. And yes we have a mechanic that will work on your bike that also was a teacher at barnetts.

20. Pancho

Pancho New Member

I asked my parents if it was cool for you to stay at my place, but since there are going to be people here for like three weeks prior to you, they weren't too cool with it. Sorry about that, any other time it would have worked out.

Manitou Springs (where I live) is full of motels and hotels, anything from $20 a night to $400 a night, but remember you get what you pay for. You'd be about a ten-fifteen minute trials bike ride away. The west end of colorado springs has plenty of good places, just use the map of hotels on yahoo.com and use the intersection of 31st and Cimaron as your reference for where Barnetts is. Mike is right, our team mechanic was a former instructer, he'll be able to "hook" you up. haha...