codecs and video compression...

Discussion in 'Your Bike Trials Media' started by RyanMcVicker, Oct 18, 2004.

1. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Well-Known Member

I have premire and was wondering what the best way to output and compress a video would be?? I tried the thing with tmpgenc but it didn't work out for me, maybe ill try it again. But are there any other good ways??

I have the divx codec, but i don't know what level i should adjust everything to. Is there anything in comparison to divx, or is divx the bestest?

2. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

In my opinion, you should output in mpeg1. You can do this directly from premiere, I believe. I'd shoot for a bitrate around 1100-1200kilobits/sec for the video and encode the video at 128-224kbit/sec. That would give you a filesize of around 10mb per minute, pretty much standard trials video size. DiVX is fine and everything, but I wouldn't bother with it since mpeg1 gives a nice video size with perfectly acceptable video quality and everyone can play it.

Don't even bother with DiVX.

Bill

3. RyanMcVicker

Alex P, ive done that tutorial thing and the genc program gives me an error when i try to select imput video file.

Bill, what exactly would the codec be called in premire? There is no MPEG1 codec, its a huge list with divx, cinepak, intel video blah blah....

4. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I have no idea, I haven't used premiere in about 2 years now, but I could have sworn there was an option to output vid in mpeg1

5. RyanMcVicker

somone who makes vids...(andrew, kevin, canberra, btpoland...)

Can you please just tell me exactly what you do when you export your vids and tell me all of the settings and everything... Ive been messing around trying to get this right for over an hour, i dont know what to do anymore...

6. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

I export as an uncompressed AVI file (max EVERYTHING out). Comes out pretty huge (up to a couple of gig).

Then run that through another programme - namely TmpegEnc or VirtualDub. Ive found the Adobe Mpeg Encoder to give poor results.]

Info here:

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=37708

Hope thats of some help...

Adam

Edit: Use alex's guide for Mpeg :Sonic:

7. RyanMcVicker

thanks but ive already tried vitual dub too. Gives me an error also. Please just tell me specific settings in the export setting window within premiere.. In general section do i choose avi dv or just avi, then what do i choose in the video section?

This stuff is aggrivating and time consuming why can't it just work right! glahhhhhhg

8. dankilling

dankilling More old than school

I have found Quicktime mp4 format is a good balance between file size and quality for web-posting, and you can play it on almost any platform......not bad for $30 from Apple

9. rav

rav Guest

After Premiere editing...
    In Premiere
    File/export timeline/Movie
    Option:
    Video: 720x576 25fps
    Video codec: Microsoft DV PAL @100 (its mean - no compression)
    Audio: uncompressed
    -----------
    Output file will be about 7 GB for 10min video
    This video will be interlaced!
    http://www.100fps.com/ - what is Deinterlacing
    --------------
    If compress for WMV
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx
    IMPORTANT In Properties/process Deinterlace ON!!
    ------------------------
    If compress for AVI
    VirtualDub
    Video/Filters/deinterlace/Blend fields together. - for remove interlace
    ------------------
    If compress for mpeg
    http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=37708
    -------------------

10. RyanMcVicker

thank you Rav.
    :D