CK prices being adjusted?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by trialspads, Feb 18, 2004.

1. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

I spoke to the shop today and the guy mentioned about a CK rear hub going about $400-$500...and I told him about I can get one online for $300. And he says "When was this?" And I told him just yesterday?

Apparently, CK is cracking down on all the mail order companies selling their products really cheap & is having every distributor sign a new agreement for stricter pricing control.

If this is true...I better pick one up this week!!! $300 vs. $500 :down:

2. Elan

Elan steve french

i heard somthing about this and Webcyclery... CK is getting gay?

3. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

give me a 'w' give me an 'h' give me....... ahh hell what was the next letter......"Go white Industries, yeah!!"

4. Elan

Elan steve french

looks like maybe. i already have some FFW cranks on the way.

5. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

Jesus, thats absolutely ridiculous, if thats the case and if my King hub dies, there is no way I am going back to King, $400!? Dude, I will just buy a cheap BMX from Dans Comp and use an XT hub, lol.

6. trialspads

Well I was looking at jensonusa.com for an example & it's $270 for the rear disc CK hub...that's helluva cheap if it's gonna bump up to $400 or even $500 retail.

The guy at the shop said they had to sign a new agreement with CK to have controlled pricing just last week. He said that a lot of smaller shops are losing business because of all the mail orders out there & CK is trying to enforce this pricing agreement.

7. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

I don't see anything wrong with it personally. Bike shops are starting to take a hit. I could see selling it for a little cheaper online, but what they are selling for is ridiculously low.

The bike shops, online shops should meet somewhere in the middle here I think.

8. trialspads

Ok I just talked to a guy at Chris King headquarter in Oregon, he said the new pricing agreement was done last August and it could change in the near future BUT, the current retail for the CK hub disc (for an example) is $280 and should not go up to $400-$500 all of a sudden. He said the pricing increase is possible with any products as time goes by but even so, it won't be that significant.

Sorry to scare you guys but when the shop told me it's gonna go up as high as $500 I freaked!!! *phew*

Time to pick me up a CK hub this week :)

Oh yeah got my POS Shimano XT hub fixed for $30...should be good for a month. yay. :down:

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

LOL...go to any local shop in town and you get charged around 3-4x whatever cost is. So like 900 dollar forks at the shop are about 300 online, and 250 at cost. I've never been to an LBS that wasn't extremely overpriced, they have to be to survive...I can't pay that shit- $6 for a fucking tube? Go to hell, it costs them 84 cents and incoming shipping. No hub is worth $400 ... unless by "hub" you mean human slave, then I will buy thm.

10. trialspads

I know...LBS is just ridiculous when it comes to parts. Thank god I know how to do the basic maintenance and even if I have to take my bike to a shop they don't charge any labor which is nice. But when I have to buy certain parts and don't have time...it's just $$$ :eek3: I probably saved about $700 when I built my first bike...

I can see how some shops don't survive...

11. digby

digby New Member

one time I went to my lbs thinking to buy some atomlab aircorps. The guy looked it up in the qbp catalog for me showed me the pic of it in the catalog, along with the price right next to it(their cost $87), then had the balls to say "yeah we can probably get you a deal on it for.... mmm $145, it'll be here in 2-3 days if you wanna put a deposit on it today".

ha, thanks for the deal buddy. Instead i bought some cheap ass wellgo's online.

If the pricing needs to be controlled, it needs to be controlled on the lbs end. King doesnt make any extra money with controlled pricing, all it means is online shops and lbs will have the same pricing, meaning more markup for both of them and the customer gets the dick.

Besides lbs's make all their money on idiots that come in for a tuneup that takes 10 minutes and cost $70.

12. itsjustPURE

itsjustPURE Guest

that would have sucked if CK prices went even higher, heres a quote from webcyclery.com
    "Hey Ty,

The dealer agreement thing happened last summer and we signed it. King wants everyone to hold true to their minimum prices and we were slightly off on a couple and shut us down. Their prices won’t be going up to $400. As far as I know they will stay where they are. If they go up it would be a very slight increase."

I think everything should be alright now,

13. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

Hey, BTW, Excelsports (www.excelsports.com) sold me a Ck for just under 300. 289 or something like that, AND, that included the steel cassette body. They have a huge internet and mail order place in Boulder, CO. I just walked in and checked about getting a CK, Disc, with a steel cassette body. Sure enough. And it was only 10 bucks more to get the steel version. They ordered it (even they didn't have it in stock) from CK and I had it two days later. BTW, they've got on sale the standard King Rear Hub as well.

That place is ROADIE HELL, but they've got some of the best prices, and they're only 20 minutes away.

14. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Jenson used to have them for 221? Then 249.....

15. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

i remember when pricepoint had them for 199 and jenson for like 190. then they went up, over 200. mine cost me 500 cnd from king. dont know if it was with a deal or not. stupid retail through the distributors is like over 800.

16. vince

vince Member

Yeah here in canada a rear classic retails for $700. front classic is $290, ISO front is $340. I work at a shop (used to/kind of now) and its cheaper for employees to get them over the net. How can this be? I bought my set through Orange distribution in BC.

17. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

High Volume Discount. Basic business practice.

18. AndyT

AndyT New Member

dunno what kind of bike shop you work at, you should be able to get classics around 150 usd.

19. vince

vince Member

got my rear classic for about $275 usd, front $115ish usd. There is also a middleman involved(oranage distribution) And buying in bulk would make a difference.

20. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Well when you say a bike shop gets them from king, the shop should go through king directly- not through some distributor like QBP etc...275 is insane... I was the only person to order a hub that year, this was a GHETTO bike shop.