CK classic or ISO?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by airfruit, Dec 3, 2004.

1. airfruit

airfruit New Member

hey, if I were to get a Chris King rear hub, should I get a Classic? or an ISO? thanx

2. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

ISO...hands down, bigger flanges=stronger wheel

3. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

Why not....

CLASSIC

btw:

if you're curious about the actual correlation between flange height and wheel stiffness:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/wheel/data.htm

(In a nutshell: flange height only distributes spokes forces better within the hub, rendering the hub flange stronger. It basically makes no difference in overall wheel stiffness. I don't except my low-flange king hub to fail, so......)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  4. digby

digby New Member

do you need a disc or dont you?

5. sharpe

sharpe Guest

yeh an extra couple of bucks for a disc mount you will never/should use for trials. stick with the classic, an iso is nothing special unless you really need a disc.

6. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

Hmm n/m

Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  7. besham

besham Guest

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/wheel/data.htm

(In a nutshell: flange height only distributes spokes forces better within the hub, rendering the hub flange stronger. It basically makes no difference in overall wheel stiffness. I don't except my low-flange king hub to fail, so......)[/QUOTE]

The more important thing is that it uses shorter spokes. Shorter spokes should make a stiffer wheel. Now is a stiffer wheel a stronger one? Not always, a little bit of flex allows your wheel to absorb more of the impact without denting or bending. So I really have no idea which is better. I run the ISO, but it is mainly so that when King (or someone else) comes up with a better trials hub, this hub can go on my XC bike.

8. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

I would go with the iso disk. Because it would be easier to sel if you ever needed too.

9. airfruit

airfruit New Member

I don't run disc, lol, I ride a zoo, so no disc tab. hmmmm, classic is cheaper right? lol. I don't ride extreme/crazy/hard. my hope xc is still fine after alittle more than year of riding. well, are the engaging mechanisms the same inside? if so I think I might just go for a classic.....

10. airfruit

airfruit New Member

oh, and what's the heavy duty axle thing? is that like the through axle or what?

11. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

keep in mind that a king hub will last you atleast 5 years. you might still be riding trials in 5 years. if your not, and you're just riding xc, i suspect every bike in the next 5 years will be disc. also, i suspect that alot of disc/frame manufacturers will be trying to make products a little better for trials riders who want discs.

spend that little bit of money and get the iso. its more valuable to you in the long run.