Observed Trials banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Free Cup!
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why dont companys make chrome rims? I rode a cheapo chrome rim in the rear and my brakes locked in the wet even with wal mart pads, no grinding either. Do people not make them because of cost or durability? I dont get it..

·
Registered
955 Posts
when you see shiny stuff, it's not made out of chromium. it's just a coating. since you're talking walmart bike, you are talking chromoly (or at least some steel variant)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Bmxers use Chrome plated rims to make their useless brakes almost useable. It probably would improve braking but a grind is still the best.

·
Free Cup!
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have no idea what level of riding im doing, i ride whatever i can find, and i stopped using the chrome rim when i got my hadley. I was just wondering why people didnt make them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You could take your rim to a plater and have it chromed for pretty cheap. It is heavy though, which is probably why it's not popular for trials.

·
From your head to your fists
4,253 Posts
i'd love to see your chrome rims coated in anything. in the dry my mate's bmx brakes are quite nice. slightest little bit of water and it takes 20m just to slow down :rofl:

·
Aluminum is for recycling
1,533 Posts
Pretty sure you cant chrome alum. I'm thinking someone should make spinner attatchments for use with gold rims.

·
Original power yuppie
628 Posts
durkie said:
when you see shiny stuff, it's not made out of chromium. it's just a coating. since you're talking walmart bike, you are talking chromoly (or at least some steel variant)
UHm, NO :down:

Chromoly is another word for "steel". Chromium + Molybdium = harder than hell steel. NOT A COATING! Get it, CHRO MO or CHRO Moly?

The shiney crap you see on bumpers is simply 'chrome'. Just slang for a shiny metal coating put on with an electro static technique.

Yeah, walmar bikes may have chrome on a chromoly (steel) rim. You'd break it before you got out of the parking lot.

·
Free Cup!
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AgrAde said:
i'd love to see your chrome rims coated in anything. in the dry my mate's bmx brakes are quite nice. slightest little bit of water and it takes 20m just to slow down :rofl:
ok i already said im not running it anymore. I had it on my bike for like a week after i wrecked 3 other wheels.

I dont even know if it was a wal mart bike, as it was really old and almost too high of quality.

LostBoyScout said:
You could take your rim to a plater and have it chromed for pretty cheap. It is heavy though, which is probably why it's not popular for trials
See-thats all i was asking for. simple question, simple answer.

·
Registered
955 Posts
ascentrek said:
UHm, NO :down:

Chromoly is another word for "steel". Chromium + Molybdium = harder than hell steel. NOT A COATING! Get it, CHRO MO or CHRO Moly?

The shiney crap you see on bumpers is simply 'chrome'. Just slang for a shiny metal coating put on with an electro static technique.

Yeah, walmar bikes may have chrome on a chromoly (steel) rim. You'd break it before you got out of the parking lot.
don't treat me like an idiot.

matt's post (2 before mine) was talking about rim material, saying that chromoly is poor choice for a rim. little android man's post after that said that he wasn't talking about chromoly, but chrome/chromium. my post then pointed out that since he was talking about a walmart bike, he was in fact talking about chromoly, because that's what you have when you have a "chrome" rim.

or if you want something a little more terse: in my last post, put an "and" at the beginning of my last sentence, and a "rims" at the end.

·
Youth in Asia?
525 Posts
afrobot said:
Pretty sure you cant chrome alum. I'm thinking someone should make spinner attatchments for use with gold rims.
ummm, what do you think chrome wheels are made out of, chrome? :rofl: Yes, you can chrome aluminum. They make spinner attachments for any wheel you want. gold, silver, jello, doesn't matter.

edit: this thread is *almost* as dumb as the Rotors thread in OT.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Coramoor said:
Bmxers use Chrome plated rims to make their useless brakes almost useable. It probably would improve braking but a grind is still the best.
you have never riddin a bmx bike have you? all the guys who do run brakes always have awsome brakes.. they work so well., better than some brakes or trials bike... :?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts