Chrome..

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Little Android Man, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

Why dont companys make chrome rims? I rode a cheapo chrome rim in the rear and my brakes locked in the wet even with wal mart pads, no grinding either. Do people not make them because of cost or durability? I dont get it..

2. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I'm assuming this is a joke :ugh:

3. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

chromo is soft and heavy, it'd be a very bad metal for a rim

4. Little Android Man

not chromoly, but chrome, like chromium... a chrome coated rim or something

5. durkie

durkie Member

when you see shiny stuff, it's not made out of chromium. it's just a coating. since you're talking walmart bike, you are talking chromoly (or at least some steel variant)

6. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

like a shiny bmx wheel?

7. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

8. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Bmxers use Chrome plated rims to make their useless brakes almost useable. It probably would improve braking but a grind is still the best.

9. Little Android Man

thats what i meant, chrome plated..when i used it on my bike it worked just as well as any ground rim I've ridden.

10. AndyT

AndyT New Member

What level riding are you doing? What terrain? I'd love to see your chrome rims covered in mud.

11. Little Android Man

i have no idea what level of riding im doing, i ride whatever i can find, and i stopped using the chrome rim when i got my hadley. I was just wondering why people didnt make them.

12. LostBoyScout

LostBoyScout Guest

You could take your rim to a plater and have it chromed for pretty cheap. It is heavy though, which is probably why it's not popular for trials.

13. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

i'd love to see your chrome rims coated in anything. in the dry my mate's bmx brakes are quite nice. slightest little bit of water and it takes 20m just to slow down :rofl:

14. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

Pretty sure you cant chrome alum. I'm thinking someone should make spinner attatchments for use with gold rims.

15. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

UHm, NO :down:

Chromoly is another word for "steel". Chromium + Molybdium = harder than hell steel. NOT A COATING! Get it, CHRO MO or CHRO Moly?

The shiney crap you see on bumpers is simply 'chrome'. Just slang for a shiny metal coating put on with an electro static technique.

Yeah, walmar bikes may have chrome on a chromoly (steel) rim. You'd break it before you got out of the parking lot.

16. Little Android Man

ok i already said im not running it anymore. I had it on my bike for like a week after i wrecked 3 other wheels.

I dont even know if it was a wal mart bike, as it was really old and almost too high of quality.

See-thats all i was asking for. simple question, simple answer.

17. durkie

durkie Member

don't treat me like an idiot.

matt's post (2 before mine) was talking about rim material, saying that chromoly is poor choice for a rim. little android man's post after that said that he wasn't talking about chromoly, but chrome/chromium. my post then pointed out that since he was talking about a walmart bike, he was in fact talking about chromoly, because that's what you have when you have a "chrome" rim.

or if you want something a little more terse: in my last post, put an "and" at the beginning of my last sentence, and a "rims" at the end.

18. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

ummm, what do you think chrome wheels are made out of, chrome? :rofl: Yes, you can chrome aluminum. They make spinner attachments for any wheel you want. gold, silver, jello, doesn't matter.

edit: this thread is *almost* as dumb as the Rotors thread in OT.

19. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

you have never riddin a bmx bike have you? all the guys who do run brakes always have awsome brakes.. they work so well., better than some brakes or trials bike... :?