chris king - problems ..

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by sebLG, Feb 25, 2004.

1. sebLG

sebLG New Member

hey all,

need some help w/ my king . i have had it for 2 days now and have been bedding it in . whats happenening is yesterday and some of today is skipped about 8 times so far, and then later today, because i was getting really pissed off with all the skip, i just started riding it doing all the regular trials shit i normally do and not one single skip .
    heres my question, does the way in which i have gona about bedding this is effect the feel of the hub, coz mine feels like shit, or is it just my gearing(22-18) i know its shit gearing but shmeh ... ??? also when i pedal backwards a get chain sag (u know what i mean), is this because the hub is not bedded in? but yah, my hub feels really bad, like my gaps are smaller and i dont feel as though i am getting a very good power transfer . i hope its coz of the crap gear .

thanks much!

cyall,

SebLG...

PS : I know king usually take a longer time to bed in but mine isnt skipping so yeah ...

2. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

The chain suck could be because the lube inside the hub isn't broken in yet. You should pull the hub apart, wipe it out and I think CK says to use tri-flow for lube so it engages faster, this will probably also help out with the chain suck.

If during bedding in while it was skipping you were pedaling VERY lightly, I wouldn't be TOO surprised it was skipping this much. King likes hard engagement, when you pedal hard, it engages hard.

As for how how the bedding in affects the final hub, I'm not really sure. I broke mine in for about a day I think then rode it. I think Andrew's first king (the skip-o-matic one) he broke in pretty thoroughly. I think he's problem free on his current hub and I wouldn't be surprised if that one had very little bedding in time.

Hopefully this all make sense, it's 3AM and I'm taking a studying break... so yeah

Bill

3. sebLG

sebLG New Member

thanks muchly, so i just need to freewheel and pedal backwards alot to get rid of chain sag(or w.e) ... hmmm, as for it feeling like shit i am assuming(or maybe even hoping) its the gayboy gear, but if somebody things that it is because it is not bedded in or hasnt been bedded in properly that would help if people could tell me which it is . also of people can be bothered to rambe about the way they bedded in their king that would be cool . thanks very much for your input!

cya,

SebLG ... :Wavey:

4. sebLG

sebLG New Member

also how do i get the cone off without the special king cone tool to take the main axle out and open up the whole hub? its really tight :)bigthumb: ??) on mine and i dont think i feel like screwing uup the grooves just there any more, they are already a bit gayed ... LOL im treing this hub SO WELL .

5. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

Hey Seb,

Best thing is to get some miles on the thing. This wears in the bearings (which are causing your drag), and also the internals - so they 'match' up to each other and end up with smooth surfaces.

As Bill said, lighter lube will also help. If you can find some GT85 or WD40, whip the axle and driveshell out of the hub, and give the drive and driven rings a blast. This will remove the old sticky grease. Then drop some Tri Flow in there.

If youre not really sure what im on about, let me know as im about to do a hub service today and can get some pics.

Hope that helps,
    Adam

Edit: Have you got your manual? If not, get onto Chrisking.com and disassembly instructions are there :bigthumb:

6. sebLG

sebLG New Member

bah, miles!!! hmm, ok so ride around alot, but if i ride trials with it will it break the hub? or will there just be drag?

7. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Well, you know it's got those little notches in it... so what I do is have someone hold the wheel for me (and the freewheel), then I usually stick a small screwdriver in one of the notches (pointed the way you want the cone to spin) and push until it loosens up. I spose if its really tight you're going to have a harder time getting that cone off. I don't know if u can find a LBS with a cone tool or not, but thats really your best bet if you don't want to scratch things up. My method only puts a really small ding in it that is hardly noticeable, just make sure your screw driver doesn't pop out of the notch :).

Bill

8. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

What's wrong with 22-18 gearing?

9. sebLG

sebLG New Member

it feels a bit too hard for me, and i feel as though im getting less power . but i think it might be me just trying not adjusted to the feel of my king, because before this i used to run 22-19 .

matt - lol, yeah but im really unco so ... but ill try .

thanks for all your help all!! its really making me feel ebtter about my hu, i am really worrying about it, pretty much coz i am an incompitent bike tech person .

10. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

sorry for hijacking your thread seb :(

im gonna use finishline lube on mine like adams vids. my question is, with the wd40 do you just blast it liberally untill everything has been flushed out or do you have to sit with a little brush and do it carefully? is there any risk of the wd40 drainigh the bearings of grease? i guess this means to use the wd40 carefully and wipe id every so often so that it doesnt pool up and flood the bearings. and after blasting the insides with wd40, do you have to rinse it or just leave it to dry off before you put the new lube in?

11. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

if you get chain lag when you pedal backwards your hub is probably too tight...which is a very common cause for kings skipping
    you want it to have the slighest bit of play once its tightened up because when you clamp your quick release on it will tighten it up a tiny bit. but take it into a bike shop and get them to explain this to you in greater detail and show you how to feel for the right amount of play before you tighten it with the quick release..

12. Elan

Elan steve french

i run 22-17...

13. AndyT

AndyT New Member

A king having problems!!!! :eek:

14. sebLG

sebLG New Member

haha, true. also i just dont like the gear because it seems too hard for me because i am probably week as...haha . also, why is it i dont seem o be riding as well with this king? like seriously, im not making the gaps i could do very consistenly when i ran lx silent clutch. anlso same thing with surges and yah. is this just because i need to get use to it? i assume so, im just saying/wondering.

thanks all,

SebLG

15. Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx Guest

Why? Biggest reason is probably because you don't trust it. You're not going to be putting 100% into a move when, in the back of your mind, the hub just might skip.

I'd guess more trusting it than getting used to it.

16. Cole

Cole New Member

Kings are like THE easiest hub to adjust on the planet. Make sure the hub is properly adjusted and get someone to haul you up a big hill in a car, and then bomb down the hill coasting, that would take care of any lubrication that is at all thick (chris king's is fine, down bother flushing it with tri-flow). Then just ride around for a day doing easier trials stuff, and you're good to go if you have a good working drivetrain and tight chain. My king is the most unbelievable hub ever. It has probably skipped once in the last year of riding. 22-18 has nothing to do with it skipping.

17. sebLG

sebLG New Member

hey,

hmm, im not sure if its because im not confident about the hub, i couldnt care less really, lol! i think its physical, like it engages faster than the lx silent clutch, and instinctively i put all my power in too late or something ... i dont know, just a theory, ill probably end up on apv's dumbfuck of the day post ... hardeharhar :slap:

anywayits all working out well now, it skopped twice more today but shmeh, ya get that when you are a retard like me, and chain lag(or w/e ya call it) has reduced heaps because i litterally sat there for 45 minutes infront of the tv just backpedalling it by hand, still doing it more.

thanks for everyones help!

Cya. :Wavey:

18. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

did you check to see if its too tight. cuz that chain suck thing when you back pedal is a really bad problem. is your chain line straight? derailleur properly adjusted? figure the problem out dude. skipping hubs make for broken bodies....
    hopefully its just that it is new because mine had a fairly lengthy break in period too.

19. [BMF]Andy

[BMF]Andy New Member

The adjusting cone on the non-drive side should never be more than finger tight. When I put my hub back together I just tighten as much as I can with my fingers and then screw the rest back together. There is no play in the hub, not even the smallest amount before I put it back on. I have never had a single problem with my hub either so obviously this ways works. If you got the hub brand new and that adjustment cone was more than finger tight, after loosening the hub with 5mm allens, that is pretty odd. Like Dangerous Dave said that is most likely where the chain lag is coming from.

Anyways if its not fixed already just redo the adjustment cone making it only finger tight and then ride down some big hills for a while like somone else said. Sometimes when I have my bike on a bike rack on the back of a car the wheel will start spinning by itself. I always thought that would be a good way to break the hub in too. Just drive around a while...

20. sebLG

sebLG New Member

hey, no more chain lag... well a tiny tiny bit ... coz i sat and backpedalled by hand litterlly for 45 mins lol :bigthumb: