cheapest decent rear disc hub?

Discussion in 'West Coast, USA' started by oxygen_77, Apr 12, 2004.

1. oxygen_77

oxygen_77 Guest

The freewheeling part of my rear hub is starting to not freewheel more and more often lately so I need to find a decent rear disc hub that costs less than $50.00. I would like to be able to save up for a King, but after cracking my knee really hard on my bike today because of my crappy hub I think I need to get a new one soon. Does anybody know of a decent hub for less than $50.00? If you're selling yours, I'm interested! Thanks!

2. B1105

B1105 New Member

Try a Shimano XT or something, best thing you can probably get. Maybe a used Hope XC.

3. RideManuals

RideManuals Guest

I agree xt is pobably the best you can round up for under $50 I don't know how much hopeXC are but they seem to be good hubs too. I was gonna sell my wheel but it broke so sorry for teasing you like that. Or you can hire some punks kids to go steal a chris king for ya, saw three kids steal a hayes hydralic disc brake the other day, THOSE BASTURDS.

4. oxygen_77

oxygen_77 Guest

haha, if I were to try to hire some punks to steal a Chris King for me I'd end up with a walmart front hub and then when I refused to pay them, the punks would probably stab me and leave me to die... :bigthumb:

5. Elan

Elan steve french

dont waste the money for the XT on the hub, if you get a shimano get the deore or lx, its the same exact thing.

6. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

you need a disc hub right? or can you run rim brakes on it? if anything, i know you'd be able to find a lx silent clutch which used to be the rage in the trials world. if you can find someone who has one, that would work well. you might want to call up recycled cycles (in the U district) and ask them what they have, i know you'd be able to find a hub there for less than 50 bucks. i need a new one too, the way its racheting sounds and feels like crap, i think one of the 3 prawls are cracked or just aren't working very well. oh well. time to save up for a king i guess. i'm actually thinking about saving my money and getting either a hobe bulb, or a hadly. those are both really nice and i guess hold up really well.

7. oxygen_77

oxygen_77 Guest

I decided to get an XT from Center Cycle in Renton... they gave me a good deal on the hub and rebuild of the wheel. If you decide to get a Hadley check with them because they told me it would cost $300.00 total for a standard Hadley hub with the solid axle conversion kit and the rebuild cost. If I had an extra $200.00 at the time I would've gotten it.

8. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

ya that's too much, for that much i'd just get a king

9. oxygen_77

oxygen_77 Guest

Well, I've ridden with the new XT hub a few times now and it is definately better than the piece of junk the bike came with. The original hub had what felt like 45 degree movement before engagement, try learning to lurch on that. The new hub feels closer to 10-15 degrees and is much easier to pedal-kick.

Oh seattletrials,
    I take back my original suggestion for having CenterCycle get your new wheel. The price for the parts was ok ($30 for the XT hub), but they don't have an in-house person to build the wheel so they had to send it out and it took over a week to get the wheel back. That's really craptastic service. Next time I'll buy the hub from them and take it somewhere else to have it laced to my rim.

10. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

ya, that's a while, I work in a shop, and i can build my own wheels, so that's not a problem. in our shop, we are booked out to may 14th for work, just because we are so buisy. mostly tune ups, most of the time we'd try to put in a wheel build becuase we try and to as much as posible for the customer. Right now, I'm just going to stick with what i have untill it totaly craps out on me. I found out that its cartrage bearing, but i paid 20 bucks for the original wheel laced to an alex dm24, so i figure, 20 bucks for a wheel, isn't too bad, especially since I've had it for over a year and i've been riding trials on it for about 6 months or so.

11. oxygen_77

oxygen_77 Guest

What shop do you work in? Next time I need a wheel built maybe I'll go there instead. I'm pretty rough on my wheels so it'll probably be soon...

I really need to just save up and get a truing stand and dish tool so I can build my own wheels. Lacing wheels is the only thing I can't do currently and it costs so much that it would probably be worth while for me to just do it myself.

12. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

ya, i mean, if its that big of a deal. i could teach you how, or if you buy the spokes, hubs, and rims for your wheels. i'll do it on my own time for half the price that Bike Sport will charge(that's the shop i work at, its on 56th and 24th in ballard). It would get done alot faster that way.