Chainstay Guard

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by unlimits, Aug 29, 2004.

1. unlimits

unlimits New Member

I've seen that some mod bikes has a protection for the bar the has the chain horizontal above and under. I dont' know if it's Chainstay Guard. what is the use? is it necesary?

2. Elan

Elan steve french

use a lizardskin or an old tube. stops the chain from hitting the chainstay. keeps it quiet.

3. B1105

B1105 New Member

or tkae a trash tires and cut it, wrap a piece around the chainstay, looks radical

4. unlimits

unlimits New Member

anyone could tell me if the chain tensioners are important or if you just have to use them if you have problems. could you tell me about them...

5. doctorT

doctorT Member

i run v brakes in the rear which really like to get themselves out of line with my rims. every time i take my wheel off to grind, its a bitch to get everything lined back up right. im getting tensioners soon so that i wont have so much trouble with my v's.

6. oicdn

oicdn Guest

You use the protector to do just that, keep your chain from over time sawing through your stay. Keeps it quiet too. Use black electrical tape, or an old tube and zip ties.....

7. durkie

durkie Member

in my experience, you absolutely have to use chain tensioners with a mod. even if they're the old style monty cam tensioners.

8. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

I didn't use one on my bmx for a long time, and now its down to the bar metal in a area of about 4-5 inches. Use one if you want to keep your paint!!

9. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

on your bmx? your chain must be hella loose.

10. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

bwahaha yeah..now I have a lizard skin on there