Chainline Suxor

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by aj2four0, Jun 1, 2004.

1. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

So, check out my chainline.. yeah its terrible.. i didn't really prethink the situation i was going to put myself in. I allready used a little spacer that i had to dremel out to fit on there. Right now both cranks are equadistant from the chainstays... but in order to get a straight chainline.. i'd have to put a whole half inch or so of spacers.. and that just doesnt' seem right.. I'm open to suggestions. please help... i was so mad when i got it all together and took a look... aaHHh... so.. see for urself... comment, thanks..

Attached Files:

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

you could probably toss a spacer or two on the driveside bb cup shell and move it out a little bit. otheriwse, run a sturdy bmx chain- those dont seem to care if your chainline is off by ten feet... if its off by a bit, dont stress it. if it is off so much that your chain is exploding off the rings, take some further steps to modify your set up. my chainline was horrid like your on my mod for a while, with a bmx chain it didnt ever come up as a problem though.

3. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

also i'm looking to get a tensioner/fixed derailer... how will running a bmx chain interfere with these plans. thanks!

4. B1105

B1105 New Member

what kevin said works, what kind of frame is that? i like your brake pads also

5. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

old echo es1, brake pads are those.. oh darn.. i dont' remember the names.. crv, cmv cvm.. pshh.. the ones that are good with no grind with metal backings... whichever ones thoose are... :-D

6. B1105

B1105 New Member

crv (v is for v brake, crm is for magura)

7. WhiteRavenKS

they are the crv's.

if you are running a tensioner i dont see any problems with running a bmx chain. depending on which one you run you may have to modify it a bit. the ones with the mrp style rollers are not usually wide enough to fit a bmx chain. a razor blade and some patience can make it fit like a glove though. the der pulley style ones will work fine, you may have to do some minor bending of a cage or something to give the chain room. some bmx chains are massive, some are barely bigger than a mtn bike chain. i have run a kmc (??? what model) and the sram pcx-7 and they both cleared my deraillure without having to do any modifications.

8. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

woot.

when you say 10 feet... does that mean more than an inch.. i mean a whole inch.. i think i'm off by about a half inch to 3/4... i'm just making sure eveyone realizes that its REALLY off... the pictures do it half justice...

9. WhiteRavenKS

i can tell it is way off. that still should not affect a bmx chain much. space out your bb to get it at least a little better though.

10. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

okay now i have a real problem...

i thought it was still going to clear the frame fine.. but after tightening the crank on (didn't realize it was going to move as much as it did... the 22t has no clearance and rubs the frame.. There is only so much spacing out i can do with the amount of threads on this BB.. is there some other spline BB that would have longer arms.. on the drive side.. i mean, not EVERYONE that had this frame had to do crazy custom mods in order to get their little chainring to clear. AHHHH!!!... let me know guys, thanks.

11. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

should i get a 128mm BB?

12. Triple Eight

Triple Eight Guest

what length BB spindle are you using?

13. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

edit: i was talking out of my a$$.. i since have seen the light.. and understand bottom bracket sizing.. thank you for your ongoing support.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2004
  14. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

figured it out... did a lil online reading.. i'm going to get a 126 length spindle one... that should work out just peachy. tahnks for the replies all.

15. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

i think my chainline is worse than that, mine looks like a S.

16. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Speaking of chainline.. what size bb are you running on there Aaron? Not that I should go by that if your chainline is all screwball, but it's a vantage point to start from.

17. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Why dont you just move the cog further to the inside?

If thats a king cog, thats a WIDE base. I knew they had a wider base but thats just silly...

18. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

that is a surly single speed hub with a acs claw freewheel. thats why its so wide. its only ment to have one gear back there ;)