Chain Suck..Cure? Prevention? Help??

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by valiumlaw, Feb 27, 2004.

1. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

I recently set up my new frame, but kept the same drive train as used on my old frame, which was:

-20T Medusa Trials crankset (screw on bash/chain-ring)
    -KMC Z-10 Narrow chain
    -Shimano HG50 8 speed road cassette
    -Shimano Sora Rear mech

After riding the new perfectly set up bike for less than an hour all of a sudden I've been getting chain suck when applying a reasonable amount of force through pedalling, like when pedal upping an object etc.. why has this suddenly started to happen? all the drive train parts have had EXACTLY the same amount of wear, the chain was connected excellently, the only thing thats changed was that I shortened the chain by about 3 links to get a tiny bit more tension... the chain line is almost spot on....all parts are clean...
    I didnt used to have any chain suck problems with my old frame (hardcore dsvd 5.0) but now iv set up the zebdi with the same parts im getting chain suck all of a sudden....

has my drive train had it? or can I fix the chain suck some how ?

Thanks for your replies

p.s if I failed to mention any important information regarding chain suck, please tell me and I'll re-inform you..

Cheers.

pp.s If you dont know what chain suck is, it's when your chain, leading off from your front chainring, (heading towards the rear mech lowest pulley) gets sucked and stuck between your frame and bash gaurd...

2. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

The drive train parts are no more than 9-10 months old.
    They've taken reasonable trials abuse, nothing insane..

3. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

Are there any bent teeth on your chainring? I had a 22t sugino steel ring get a weird chunk taken out of one tooth, and the chain would catch on it every pedal stroke and get pulled up into the frame. Check to make sure your ring is in good shape - hope this helps

4. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

Yeah, all teeth are straight, they are merely a bit worn, none bent, or cracked off, no chunks missing, just merely worn down a bit...

5. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

Without seeing it perhaps its just the ware and tear on the drivetrain, check for any abnormalities or burs on the teeth, the chain should be swapped now anyway, I would say swap the chain, check the teethfor burs, etc. and then get a new sprocket/cassette

6. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

There's literally zero sign of wear on the cassette, the front chain ring does however show signs of wear, i think i'll try file the teeth a bit to restore a more original shape, which may help prevent chain suck..

Im gonna replace the front chain ring and chain soon, i need a temporary fix though..

7. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

run tighter chain

as tight as possible.

8. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

Its fixed now, i shortened the chain, flipped the chain, filed any burs or wear on the chain ring and now all signs of chain suck are long gone, cheers all, problem solved. :)