Chain Master link

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Ryden, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Ryden

Ryden Guest

I have a sram pc48 chain. I want to finally tighten it it but have no clue how to. I know something happens with a master link that I cant find. Anyone know the step by step for this?

2. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

well thought out topic.:barf:

edit: sorry it wasn't loaded or something when I put on the topic. Nevermind me.

3. Ryden

Ryden Guest

Rob, I tried to press backspace on the title, because I wrote cha\n, but I pressed enter instead and made a blank topic. Anyway it is edited now.

4. Ryden

Ryden Guest

5. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

i was so sure i posted a reply to this. i must have not presses "Post".

anyways.
    if youre absolutely positively set on using the power link, then be sure to at least replace it every few weeks, if not more often, just to be on the safe side. theyre like what, couple bucks each, and it will save you from having the link break on a drop gap. it happened to me. those chains when they go, they go at the powerlink.

to install it, put the two plates together on the chain. after that, pedal the bike by hand while grabbing the rear wheel, so that the two plates of the powerlink lock together. thats it.

6. Ryden

Ryden Guest

What would be the alternatie to the power link?

7. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

heres a cool paint pic of mine to explain it well.

[​IMG]

alternatives, putting the chain together just with a chain tool, but then some strength problems from the pins and plates may be questioned. just replace the powerlinks 3 to 4 weeks. mine blew up in 3 months, but ive known of a few riders that havent broken one. so its a bit of a gamble, except you'll be ok with the frequent replacement.

8. Justin.L

Justin.L Guest

mine blew up on me today. 2 months. it hurt. i cant walk now cuz my crotch is all purple and shit. not cool

9. Elan

Elan steve french

im not so sure about th ahand part, i prefer to keep mine attached

10. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Stupid enough of me not to replace the link often.. which I probably will start doing.. but 2 PC48's with about 8 months or so on each and no issues. I'm decently smooth but still torque my chain a bit. Surprised at how well they've held up... even when my chainline was crap.