chain length

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by jmkimmel, Apr 26, 2004.

1. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

I'm seeing that a lot of people are rocking chains on stock bikes that are super short. Do I have to do anything special with the rear der? or can I just keep pulling out links until the cage is almost horizontal? Also, what exactly are the benefits/downsides of pulling it that tight?
    Thanks

2. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Only downside is it makes it a little harder to take the wheel of.

To find out how long you chain should be take it apart, wrap it around the two largest cogs you plan to use. And make sure there is one link overlap.

3. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

Like Coramoor mentioned it's a pain to take off the rear wheel but you have less chance of having it come off the ring. Not to mention you can save some major weight (sarcasm) and less slapping noise.

4. JK

JK New Member

Benefits:

less chain slap, less slack in chain for better engagement, better chain tension in general, more clearance since mech cage is moved upwards.

Why would you be taking the wheel off all the time? I only take my wheel off every few months to grind the rim, and I have never had a problem. I usually just unscrew the mech anyways when I take the wheel off, makes it way easier.

5. JK

JK New Member

Here is a picture of my setup. Sora derailleur (spring removed/locked, plastic bit removed to lengthen limit screws, all unnecessary bits removed). I cut the chain pretty short and the chain line is good, no skips. The zip tie brings the derailleur out while the limit screw holds it in. This works well for bikes that use wide BBs.

[​IMG]

6. pav

pav New Member

that length in that pic is perfect, dont go any shorter or your chain will snap as i found out something like 7 times!
    otherwise short is the way and tie up your mech so it dont slap

pav

7. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Well-Known Member

I have a mod, but i was riding my XC bike trials style the other day and noticed how much slack their was, it was coming off and banging around. So last night I took some chain out, much better now. The only bad thing that I noticed is that after i hooked the chain back up after taking some chain out, the link i put back together was very hard to move around and swivel. Does this just need time to get back to normal?

8. oxygen_77

oxygen_77 Guest

You should probably buy a quicklink for the chain... it's very hard to put a pin back in a chain and have it move smoothly again. I've only been able to do it 3 times in my life. when you remove the pin and then press it back in it compresses the metal in and around that area so the link won't work well unless you sit there for hours bending that link back and forth to loosen it up (which can weaken the chain too). A quicklink is pretty cheap and saves a lot of hassle.

9. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

only downside is that the chain will wear out faster

10. JK

JK New Member

Don't use a snap link!! It will be the first thing to snap. If you have a Kool chain you will have noticed that the link isn't stiff *at all* after you install the chain. With any other chain you have to manipulate the chain side to side a bit to get rid of the stiff link. But WTF, just get a Kool chain.

11. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

If the link you put together is hard to move around you need to pull out your chain tool again and keep doing veeery small adjustments to it. Sometimes the difference is so small you can't see it. But when you get it right it should swivel just as easily as the others. I did this the last time I replaced my chain.

12. oxygen_77

oxygen_77 Guest

Yeah maybe, but if it does snap at the quicklink, and you bought a pack of them, all you have to do it throw another on there and keep going. Personally they've worked pretty well for me so far.

13. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I've seen quite a few sram chains snap and only one of them broke at the power link. I always break regular links right in the middle. In my opinion, the weak point in sram chains is not their powerlink.

14. JK

JK New Member

Breaking my chain once could possibly cause me to fall and die! You wouldn't even walk on the rocks that I ride on. I guess you ride a lot of urban. Yeah, it may be acceptable for you to break a chain every once and a while, but if I broke a chain I WOULD DIE!!! NO KIDDING!!!

15. JK

JK New Member

And that's why I'll never use a SRAm chain. Back when they were still sachs (7 or 8 years ago) they had a great reputation. Now that SRam bought them, the are all snapppp. You would not believe how many SRam chains I have seen break.

If you have to use a dainty little chain go for the Rohloff or the Connex chains. Sram is pure death. Some people swear by them, but I have no idea why if they are breaking all of the time. Maybe it's because they are so easy to get.

Get a KMC 810

16. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Well-Known Member

I was thinking there was some type of quick link in the chain somewhere, but I didn't think about it until after I took some links out. oops. Anyways, I took a flat head screwdriver and stuck it between the link walls, then twisted it a little, it gave a little room for the link to swivel

17. ty

ty Guest