Chain breakage sucks.....which chain now?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Jun 5, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Well, my chain snapped on me tonight. Thankfully it wasn't during a gap, but, I was on a ledge. I heard something hit the ground, and when I went to go pedal, I lost my balance and fell off the ledge....

So, I'm looking for a chain. I remember something about somebody switching to a different chain and having total chain suck.....so it's having me raise the question of which chain to snag up tomorrow, err, today.....any ones in particular to avoid?

2. pav

pav New Member

KMC Kool Chain

thats all you will ever need until it gets rusted, supposidly impossible to snap coming from a 6ft 6inches rider that bunnyhops a koxx 1100 like 4.5ft.........
    Hermance has one and i say that is reason enough!!

pav

3. Triple Eight

Triple Eight Guest

I hear the Rohloff's are excellent, although I'm not sure how you'd go about getting one if you're in the US cause QBP and BTI both quit carrying them. Anyone know where to get one, cause I don't know where and I'd like one too.

4. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

How much are KMC's? I just replaced mine again with SRAM PC-99. I replaced it after about 9 months of riding...just saw the wear & tear I guess.

5. B1105

B1105 New Member

KMCs are nice as are Connex Wippermans. Connexs are expensive, but well worth it. If you have a tendency to break chains, go for something a little stronger but otherwise, you can just use like a SRAM or something.

6. pav

pav New Member

my KMC cost me $15 AUD......
    sure is cheap enough!

7. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

i own a KMC chain, no problems yet. Seems to be pretty nice.

8. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

i snapped a chain

it said connex on it

it wasnt that old

9. Nick

Nick Guest

KMC Kool for single speed or an Echo/Koxx one for gears. The Echo/Koxx ones are made by KMC but have slithgly thinner rollers andpins so it fits nicely onto a cassette. Ive had a KMC didn't break and now I'm on an Echo chain, seems very strong.

10. felix

felix New Member

I use the KMC cool chain with my mod and my stock.
    I snapped it twice, but this happens to every chain.
    If you replace the chain every 6 month it's no problem, but using it longer can be dangerous.
    I tried the Rohloff as well, but I didn't notice an additional strength. I snapped it, too!
    Now I only use the KMC cool chain, because it's much cheaper (10 Euro compared to 30 Euro for a Rohloff) and does not snap if you don't use for too long.

11. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Got a KMC kool chain...works wel;l...well, like my previous chain...no chain suck....