cassettes and cogs

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by RyanMcVicker, Sep 26, 2004.

1. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Well-Known Member

I just ordered a shimano hg50 cassette. It has 11, 12, 14, 16, 18, 21, and 24 tooth cogs. I run a echo fixed hub, so I will have to take one of these cogs out to make it 6 speed.

But anyways, I want a 15 tooth cog also, so i was wondering if a king cog would work? If I get a 15t chris king cog, do I have to order some kind of spacer or anything? Or will i just remove a cog from the hg50 cassette and replace it with the king cog and thats it and it works?

thanks for any help

Ryan

2. willapaj

willapaj New Member

you'll most likely have to play with the spacing a bit
    and hopefully, the cogs aren't grouped on a "carrier" on that cassette. don't think they are on an hg50 though.

3. oicdn

oicdn Guest

You're hurtin if you get a King cause the base of it will throw off the spacing.

When I got the Gusset SS kit, the lockring didn't want to screw on cause the base of the King was too wide for the 2nd fat spacer on the SS kit...that base is like as wide as 4 rings put together, or, 2 rings with a spacer....it's pretty wide...

4. willapaj

willapaj New Member

you can make it work believe me, you just have to use the correct spacers. And you have to be extra careful with it, because the echo can only take 6 8spd cogs anyway...
    So basically, set it up with 8spd cogs, the spacing will be fine until you get to the king, which is the one it matters most on.
    I have mine set up with 11,12,13,14,15 (King),17 on an Echo hub. 8spd cogs. I gave the king extra room because I'm using a KMC K810, which is a bit wide.
    Anywho, it'll work, just get a lot of spacers, and you're going to need the thinnest ones too.

5. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Well-Known Member

What would be the easiest way to get a 15t in there? What kind? even if its not a king.

6. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Just take the lockring off, buy a 15t and remove whichever one you don't want. It's simple R&R (remove and replace).