Caribbean Mountain Biking

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by giventofly, Dec 12, 2004.

1. giventofly

giventofly I like Hops

Hey. Have any of you ever gone mountain biking in the Caribbean? I am going on a cruise in a month, and I am considering checking this ( http://bikestlucia.com/ ) out. It looks SOOOO cool. I have never ridden outside the US, but I'm unsure. The possibility of getting hurt on a caribbean island that has no road access (only accessable by boat), and questionable medical facilities kinda freakes me (not to mention my wife) out, but the experience.......

I just was wondering of anybody knew anything about this.

Thanks.

-Dan

2. those stairs at "the ruins" look like fun trials wise

3. steve_v

steve_v New Member

I was in the West Indies (St. Lucia, Barbados, St. Vincent). It is so freakin' hot and humid that the effort required to drink your beer/fruity rum punch wil make you woozy. Unless you could ride where there is not traffic, you would be taking your life in your hands. The roads are very narrow and people drive insanely fast (and smoke pot all day). God help you if you're injured down there too. Having said that, I did do some riding but it took away from drinking and hanging out on the beach(smoking pot).

4. giventofly

giventofly I like Hops

According to their website, it's all jungle single-track, and they claim to be accessable only by boat, so you don't have to ride on or near any roads.

As far as Injury....that's my biggest concern.
    I actually enjoy tropical heat, and am very active on vacations....and I don't drink much while down there.

I should ask them if they have trials bikes.

5. steve_v

steve_v New Member

That place looks amazing. St Lucia was definately one of the nicer islands down there. You are screwed if you get hurt though.

6. Mordax

Mordax American in Canadia

HOLY SHIT IT'S TINKER!!