can you get good braking from just pads?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by hophopsnap, Jun 18, 2004.

1. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

Hey,

Im running a hs-33 in the rear with plazmatic CRM pads, you know the yellow ones. Is it possible to get good braking without tar/grind? I'm not going to grind my rim but I have been putting tar on, I live in the yuppie part of town so is it possible to have good braking with these? If so how? thanks

2. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member

The CRM's work great on a smooth rim without tar.

...untill you get them wet...

1 person likes this.

3. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

If you live in a dusty area then your CRM's without a grind will also crap out on you. What rim are you using? I used to be a believe in tar....that was until my pads stuck to the rim, giving me a cracked (in about 20 places) brand new CNC magura lever and a nasty gash on my shin. So i ground my rim, and now i know that's where it's at. It really doesn't do "damage" to your rim. believe me, im fairly unsmooth and have not dented my rim from repeated grinding.

4. hophopsnap

5. AndyT

AndyT New Member

my koxx bloxx on a grind are silent...

6. hophopsnap

would some stiffer pads help alot? seems like the CRM are very squishy. with harder pads I would think it would feel more like a vee. not.

7. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

are you trying to stay silent? or are you trying to find other ways to make good brakes? ive got koxx bloxx on my ground dx32 and they make no noise at all, and hold like 3243 times better than my crm's used to. i also used tar, but on my stock bike with V brakes and it kinda sucked, no more wet riding or dusty places, the grind is the best way to get awesome brakes in under 5 miutes

8. hophopsnap

i wanna not use tar and have good brakes just with pads, no grinds, is it possible? should i get some koxxbloxx and use tar?

9. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Don't let the CRM's get glazed or dirty either..
    If you're riding in your concrete driveway with CRM's on a smooth rim on a sunny not-so-humid day and have a bottle of alcohol and paper towels to periodically clean the pads and rim.. you'll have great braking.

Grind.

1 person likes this.
  10. AndyT

AndyT New Member

i wanna horny beautiful woman who is completely loaded, doesn't talk much and knows how to cook.

(but guess what :eek: )

11. klophaus

klophaus Guest

I just ground my rim for the first time a couple weeks ago. Do not resist doing this. It was a huge improvement and no louder than before. I ride much better because I can finally really trust my brakes. I was worried about not being able to manual as well, but being able to trust the brakes it is actually much easier. Ups are much nicer because your wheel doesn't spin if you land low on an edge and still have a chance of making it. Just do it, you won't regret it, grinding is pretty hard to mess up and the aluminum is much harder than you would expect.

12. Spacemunkee

Spacemunkee Guest

i use koxx bloxx ( with 3 X's cut across the face with a hacksaw) and they squeal like a bitch on heat with my grind but i love it cos it lets me know they are working :)

13. hophopsnap

so im going to get the threshold brake booster and maybe some koxx bloxx, will these help my braking alot or just a lil?

14. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

that will degrade your braking. bloxx are designed for harsh, harsh grinds.
    get the threshold (seeing as it's THE only real booster to get, no flecks). don't get bloxx. just make sure you have some rubbing alcohol and lots of paper towels. also, never ride in dust, sand, water, or in cold conditions, because then your brakes will suck.

15. hophopsnap

thats why i have my disc for :). anyways, so I should stay with the CRM?

16. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

17. hophopsnap

how much does the booster help? night and day or more a dark purple light purple.

LOL :greddy2:

18. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Your rim is begging you to grind it... i can hear it calling.

19. Elan

Elan steve french

i seriously have no idea why the fuck people just dont shut the fuck up and grind their rims.

20. Elan

Elan steve french

oh yea, FUCK YUPPIES