Buying some v's

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by zebdidude, Sep 22, 2004.

1. zebdidude

zebdidude Guest

so i tried out a cheapy set of avid sd3 with coolstop salmon pads, speed dial mag levers, and a grind on my rim. i found that the power is very equal to my hs33's and the setup was needless to say much easier. i am just running some dogshit cables and housing at the moment too. anyways, my question is, are the avid ultimates, levers and brakes worth the price. how do they perform? i am not too concerned with money as a good set of hydro brakes or discs are similar price (my way to justify the price!!!). regardless, i am going to run speed dial levers. i tried an xt lever and it was poo.

couple other things while i am at it, how are the arch supremes?

how do you get a "harsh" grind as compared to a "normal" grind?

thanks

2. B1105

B1105 New Member

"harsh"=push harder on rim, like slam on the rim hard, basically you push harder than "normal"

ultimates are good if you can afford them

3. mikemad23

mikemad23 Guest

4. zebdidude

zebdidude Guest

what is so good about sd7. they look just like the sd3 if you ask me.

5. Elan

Elan steve french

im assuming you canti studs on your frame and not 4-bolt, in which case, v brakes are definately the way to go.

there are only three levers id ever consider putting on my bike:
    XT
    XTR
    avid ultimate...
    choose on price, they are all somewhat comparable in performance, not so much in quality however.

next is your cable, whatever cable you use (i prefer XTR, because its not overly priced and works very well), run it full length from the lever to the caliper, dont use the brake stops on the frame.

as for calipers, there isnt really much you can do wrong exccept for get a paralell push brake like archrivals or lx's (the ones with linkages). get a solid caliper. avid sd-7 is the best value for sure, and deore works well also. i suggest not getting avid sd-7ti or mag or anything like that, there arent any performance gains until you get to the ultimate. the avid ultiamte is the only way to go in my opinion though. there is absolutely no slop due to cartridge bearings, and they do not flex.

pads. kool-stop salmons are what i ran when i had v's, they work well. others use echo or plazmatic...which can be expensive but supposedly worth the price.

grind: if you ever ride on a rock you must run a harsh grind.. if you ride street, you may opt for less harsh in favor for modulation.

6. Elan

Elan steve french

they might be the same now, but before sram bought them, it seemed like sd-7 quality was a little better.

7. Shorty2020

Shorty2020 Guest

im running sd-7's with some junk yard levers and regular pads tar and my friends prefers my avids over his hs-11's which arnt that great and one guy compared them to his hs-33's so im getting new pads and going to grind and new levers probably xtr's and im looking forward to unstopable power. i mean super stopping power

8. Elan

Elan steve french

for the record hs-11s are the worst brakes ever, and 1/10 people know how to properly set up a hs-33

9. netto

netto New Member

AGREED!

10. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

to answer your question, the ultimates are well worth it.

11. Elan

Elan steve french

yea, i had ultimate levers and calipers on my zoo, they were fucking awesome, on par with any hs-33 i have felt.

12. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

No shit run the housing the whole way to the caliper? Just makes it stiffer or actually adds to the power of the brake?

13. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I'd go with 1/60 people ;)

14. goose

goose New Member

1) a full length housing can achieve a smooth transition to the noodle, elimitating some of that annoying flex. In my case, with a wide trials rim, it is difficult to get this smooth transition if I use the cable stops. By smooth transition I mean that there is minimal curvature, and the housing meets the noodle such that when it's all together, the brake end of the noodle points straight at the clamped brake arm.
    2) full length housing keeps the cable sealed, so you can really grease it up and it'll stay smooth for a long time.

15. Elan

Elan steve french

goose hit it on the head. its a lot nice fo sho

16. willapaj

willapaj New Member

I've never liked the way full length housing feels... feels smushy. It's not like you're likely to gunk up your brake cables quickly anyway, so it seems overkill to me.

17. Elan

Elan steve french

if you set it up wrong, full length can be very flexy, but if you do it right, its the best.

ps- nice av

18. willapaj

willapaj New Member

I've never bothered trying it on one of my bikes, just used to it feeling like ass on repair bikes...

[​IMG]
    :bowdown:

19. Elan

Elan steve french

eek, ets marko martin dominating.

it seems v-brakes are just as difficult if not more than setting up maguras.

20. besham

besham Guest

For full length cable housing I would only run teflon cables and xtr or flack jacket housing. If not your brake response will dwindle very quickly. It will never feel as good and "snappy"as the front. Also I have never felt a crappy avid lever. Even the cheapest avid will out do most levers. XTs and XTRs are great , But I prefer the lever shape of the avids. I run the Ti levers.