Buying electric guitar help

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by AlainY, Nov 22, 2004.

1. AlainY

AlainY bruises that won't heal

Someone talked about guitars here so i'm going to ask.

i'm looking to buy an electric guitar. I've been playing my acoustic for like 3 years now. So what's a good guitar i can get from the 200-300 dollar range?

Can i get a Fender STratocaster? Like what's a good brand, best bang for your buck kind of thing?

Is this a good deal:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/514013/

2. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

If you have the time, go into local music store that sell used guitars and play them. There are so many brands of guitars out there that are fun to play, and set up nicely. You'll get more bang for buck out of a used guitar than a new one, even from Musician's Fiend.

First have a general idea of what kind of sound you like. If you typically listen to and like bluesy/rockabilly style stuff, you're likely listening to a Strat or Telecaster (single coil pickups). If you enjoy typical rock/metal or like the muted tone of jazz guitarists, check out a Gibson Les Paul and variants. There's a huge sound difference between single coil and humbuckers. Play a few guitars in the shops and figure out which one you like the best. Don't forget to play it on an amp and through pedals you're likely to own. Different amps produce wildly different tones as well.

Back in 1992 I found a used Gibson Les Paul Studio at a local place for $450 (retail was around $900). It looked like it had never been touched. Six years later, I stripped the finish, oiled the wood and sold it for $500 to a very happy buyer.

You have to look for a few things to ensure you're getting your money's worth. It's best to take a knoledgible friend with you if you have one. Otherwise, try to find some guitar forums and see if you can get some help on how to identify things like a warped neck, inonation that can never be cured, looking for dead spots, bad bridge mounting, poor fret jobs and things like that.

The used guitar market is totally weird and sometimes hard to understand, especially for high end. Take your time and learn as much as you can before you spend your $300. If you do, you'll end up with a much more valuable guitar than a crappy Japanese Strat.

Good luck.

3. justin

justin Guest

I have also been playing for around 3 years and right now I have a Squier Stratocaster by Fender and its a really nice playing guitar. It was around $300.00 so i would sugest it.

4. Adam_ford1

Adam_ford1 Guest

Hi i have been playing for about 7 years now and considering i have been playing an acoustic guitar for 3 i would sugest maby a les paul shape to a fender strat shape but it is mainly up to wot u feel comfortouble playing....and on what amp u use....i use a huges and kettner and a £300 strat type guitar i have never seen or played a guitar like this and i have played £500 fender strats before... and i found it by going to a local music store spoke to the man behind counter of the position i am in and he helped me find a guitar that i liked best....but dont buy the first one u see make sure u try as many as u can...go for how it feels and sounds...................hope this has helped and good luck..