Buying a box of spokes

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by BrettM, Nov 7, 2004.

1. BrettM

BrettM New Member

If you were to buy a box of new DT spokes do they come with nipples for them in the box? If yes are they regular brass or aluminum?

Thanks

2. CoppellStereo

CoppellStereo Ruff Rider

im pretty sure you dont have to buy the nipples too

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004

3. felix

felix New Member

They come without nipples.

4. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

When my shop ordered my spokes 2 years ago box also came with a little bag of brass nipples. I had them order gold alloy nipples for my wheel though. Have they stopped including nipples since then?

edit. after reading felix's reply, i guess they don't come with them anymore.

5. BAM

BAM Guest

DT includes nipples with spokes, brass for straight gauge and alloy for double butted. Wheelsmith does not include spokes.

6. willapaj

willapaj New Member

like they said, DT gives you the nipples with the spokes, wheelsmith usually does not. DT spokes are much nicer in my opinion.

7. BrettM

BrettM New Member

I thought they came with a box of nipples. Thanks. I don't use anything but DT when building. So when I get a box of the Revolution spokes they should come with silver alloy then? Sounds sweet.

8. trialsmasta

trialsmasta Guest

DT spokes are nicer but they only come in boxes of like 100. Wheelsmith you can buy in 50's. I think once your not getting double butted the Wheelsmith spokes are okay. Anyone use rock-n-roll spoke prep? I just bought 2 bottles and it's runny as hell. I was told the stuff was supposed to be bad ass, but I'm thinking it was a waste of money.

9. BrettM

BrettM New Member

DT spokes come in boxes of 72. Wheelsmith come in 50.

I think if I made spokes and sold them in boxes it definately wouldn't be in 50's. Maybe 40's would be cool. 20's would be fucking rad. Buy just what you need for a reasonable price and have a couple spares just in case.

10. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

Sapim :) Arguably better than DTs too - I would ALWAYS use Sapim over DT if they werent so hard to get hold of over here (relatively, anyway). The heads are SLIGHTLY smaller, meaning they dont bind in Hope/King hubs. The nipples also seem to mate better with the rims - i can always turn drive side rear wheel nipples freely, even at full tension (something i cant do with DTs).

But erm, yeah... Ive got a box of DT Black DB spokes here (72), hang on... Black DB come with silver alloy nips. Silver DB (and champs) come with brass (and in boxes of 100), and Revolutions come with silver alloy as far as i remember :)

11. Ebon Dragon

Ebon Dragon New Member

how are the sapims anyways ive looked at em before and they look sweet. strength?

12. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

DT's are some of the best spokes on the market, and they do come in boxes of 72, with silver brass nipples. Although the bladed black DT superlight road spokes come with black alloy nipples, but theyre recommened for road bike use only

13. BAM

BAM Guest

Rock n Roll nipple cream is excellent. It is very liquid, but that doesn`t stop it from working well. It will thicken (in bottle ) if it is left open. Mine starts to get more manageable after building a few wheels. A word of warning- Do Not allow it to freeze. You can`t get it to mix after it freezes. Compared to the cost of other spoke preps, this stuff Rocks!

14. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

Same strength as DT. Ive never seen one fail yet (on the wheels ive built). www.sapim.be for all the tech specs.

15. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea, rock and roll nipple cream is INSAINE....best ive EVER used

16. Tanner

Tanner New Member

Kenny Belaey 6 x World Champion, World Cup winner, European Champion, 8 x Belgian Champion
    Wesley Belaey 3 x World Champion
    Bike Trial category 20'-26'.

Niiiiiiiiice

17. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Alpine III's from DT.. great spokes. Bout to build another set of wheels with them.

18. trialsmasta

trialsmasta Guest

I think I need to call tech support cause it ain't working for me.

19. trialsmasta

trialsmasta Guest

Black comes in 72, Silver in 100. Well at least thats what the BTI catalog says.

20. Elan

Elan steve french

i considered alpine III's. but my black comps or whatever seem to do just fine and are lighter.

i have a few bags of marwi..might try those out???