BT Raven length -

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by jmkimmel, May 19, 2004.

1. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

I'm buyin one of the Ravens from RomanC, and I'm wondering - am I going to have change out my stem/bar in order to deal with the length? I'm coming from a px jack flash + gt cromo fork. I'm planning to use the same fork for a little while, but change it over later on. I've only spent like five minutes on a long bike, so I don't know - I've got monkeylite DH bars, and a 5deg 110mm stem. Any advice? Also, anybody got any idea about fork length for the raven? With the short headtube they have, i might go for something like 410 or so.
    Thanks for the help -
    Jeremy

2. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Your height? You should be ok with that stem, unless you are like 5'4" or something...it will feel very wierd in the beginning. Fork length- 400mm...

3. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

i love the quick responses on this board - thanks andrew - i'm 5'10". You think that setup will work? I'm just thinkin that between the BT and say a koxx, the short headtube on the BT could drop the handlbars too low -

4. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Yeah wait for roman for an answer on that- I don't know everything about those frames. You will be fine with that set up, im 5'11 and run a 90mm stem very very comfortably, 20 mm and I would just barely be stretched, not enough to notice- only thing I would suggest to you is trying to get ahold of a 15 deg stem or putting a few spacers underneath...

5. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

I doubt you'll have to change much in the way of setup. It might take you a few rides to become accustomed to the way it handles. I got a chance to ride Roman's BT while he was home last week...it's great. His bar height is much lower than mine, but for some reason, the front end comes up VERY easily. I was very surprised actually.

Other than the low bar height, the only detectable difference in feel between my Coustellier and his BT is in the BB stiffness. I doubt it presents much of an issue for Roman (he's 145 to my 205 lb) or any other lighter riders.

It's a sweet frame, I hope you enjoy it. Props to Roman for taking the effort to import them.

6. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

I'm 6'1 and tried the raven with a 100mm length and 15 degree rise and it felt great. The bike rides like a million bucks.

So ya Andrew is correct in his saying. I would go with a 90mm stem if you aren't pressed for money plus it is cheap and you can get the rise too. I personally don't like the look of spacers.

Best choice would be 90mm length with 15 degree rise.

Enjoy the new bike.!!! :D

7. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

does someone have a raven in edmonton?

8. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

No I'm living in Poland right now.

9. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

ah that makes much more sense then haha

10. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

I am 5'9'' and I run a 5degree 90mm stem. I also use a 1.5inch rise Azonic double wall handle bars. I don't run any spacers and I use a megamo 400mm fork. So this makes the front very low compared to a lot of other bikes, but it rides really good despite of that. That gives me a ton more space when I put the front wheel onto something. However before I had a Surly 1x1 415~420mm fork and also ran some spacers. The bike rode pretty well too with that setup. I think its good to start from a higher setup and then make it lower over time; otherwise, it might feel like a huge change.

As far as the Coust vs BT goes. Pretty much I have the same opnion as Sean about the bikes. (by the way BT is stiffer than a zebdi)

11. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

i built up my raven on tuesday. All of what i say is compared with my pure. Although teh chainstays are supposed to be of equal length they are much shorter on the bt, it feels like an xtp long to me. The front end is really low (100mm headtube) so i would suggest (as andrew did) a few spaces with it. Im about 6'3" and i use a 110mm echo stem which have like 5degree rise i think, and the echo bars with about 1-1.5cm of spacers underneath the stem.

12. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

thanks for the advice - sounds like my current stem will work - having riser bars will help me out, and I'll probably use some spacers to put me at the same height as on my current bike. It's good to hear the coust and xtp references when talking about this bike - i'm soooo excited to get chainstays below 16", and a BB height that isn't made for a 5" fork. THanks again

13. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

once you get it we have to ride :bigthumb: it'll be awesome especially with that new rear wheel. sick.