bt raven 5.0 warranty

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by octomoule, Aug 19, 2004.

1. octomoule

octomoule New Member

Hi everyone,

I contacted raf(?) at [email protected] and he told me there is no warranty for the raven 5.0 ... Is that correct? does any importator give a warranty?

I 'd be very angry if the frame break after 3 months ... especially because i don't ride big, don't do big drops ...

thx

-octo-

2. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

None of the 4.0s have broken. Alot of companies give warrenties, not many stick by them.

3. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

not to be picky, but your consumer rights would cover you for replacement if the product sold was faulty. This would be valid in the US and Australia, but I'd suggest checking first. Given this, I would be comfortable buying a 5.0. Companies that offer decent warranties (at decent prices, this excludes long-term uber expensive gear like CK, ellsworth etc) tend to either withdraw their warranties or go bust fairly quickly eg PX, Brisa (doesn't withdraw or go bust, just doesn't honour warranty, therefore goes bust in the long term from consumer bitterness - some creative foresight here).

I am in no way affiliated with BTaustwalia.tk

- Joel

4. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

No 4.0's have broken, but there have been problems, big problems.

That's not me, just passing on what another rider said... Probably just bad luck but something to consider.

5. AlainY

AlainY bruises that won't heal

Can you give a context into what the rider was complaining about? My friend was thinking about getting a BT bike.

6. Orkje

Orkje New Member

I received my BT 5.0 a couple of days ago and it looks beefy, really beefy. I can't see myself breaking it anytime soon, if ever.

7. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

In regard to that quote from "some" rider. The two frames have been accepted by me (in exchange for a refund) because the customer was not satisfied with them. The third frame was damaged by USPS and should have been covered by insurance.

8. Cory

Cory Guest

I believe that person was refering to misallingned frames and brake bosses. If you are going to get a frame for 200-250 less than you would pay to get an echo or koxx there has to be a tradeoff somewhere. I guess it is warranty and quality. For most riders frames are pretty much disposable due to riding style or rider weight. I would much rather break a 400 dollar frame than a 650 dollar frame, especially if I can run V brakes in the process. I should be getting my 5.0 next week, hopefully all goes well.

9. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

The maker does not offer a warranty. This is not because of bad quality but because of fear of the PX's fate. Once I expand a bit I will consider offering a replacement policy for 1/2 the price within the first 6months.

10. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Those "bad" frames are being ridden by other people. Since the frames are hand made its very hard to make sure that the frame aligns perfectly. My biggest concern now is with shipping because I had two cases where the head tube got dented a bit. So now I am using FedEx only, where they do the packaging so that the customer can deal with them easily for insurance claims.

11. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

I'm pretty impressed with the build quality of my BT, regardless of price. The three "bad" frames that the rider quoted were hardly "bad" - like a couple mm vertical difference between chainstays at the dropout.....whee. Honestly, the guy over-dramatized the whole thing. He broke a zoo boa within a month of building it, and then whined about that for like three months. Whatevs - I'm happy with my BT so far, and with Roman's cust. service (and the service he gave the guy who was unhappy with his bikes).

12. bwagner

bwagner New Member

I hope this doesn't offend you, but why would the importer offer a warranty if the maufacturer doesn't? In my opinion, that would be a little dumb on the importers part. It would be taking money out of his or her pockets. Trials is a VERY rough type of riding, and if a break is a warranty issue, it'll happen far sooner than three months into riding the bike, barring of course any odd situations that is, for example, the bike really wasn't ridden at all for the first three months or something, but even then it's your word against theirs. I'm getting a 5.0, and if it breaks prematurely, I'll be upset, but I'd never take it out on the importer.

13. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

im extremely happy with my bt 4.0.

14. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

The above being said, my next bike will probably be a BT 5.0.

15. octomoule

octomoule New Member

no problem ;) ... I agree with you but it was just to be sure.Indeed i saw some showing maybe there is a warranty ... that's all.

Thx for answers

-octo-

16. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

As Roman has implied here, a pseudo-warranty offered by a distributor can do a lot to allay people's concerns about build quality, and probably wouldn't be taken up all that often. A half-price deal is a good idea (or a cost price deal) because this is less likely to put the distributor out of business.

- Joel

17. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

joel, as much as i agree with you, im sure its alot easier said than done.

18. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

of course it's easier said than done, I haven't said that given the opportunity, I would have it done. Just saying that in the absence of a full manufacturer-endorsed warranty, an importer can still help people out. The chances of someone actually taking up a 6 month "warranty" offer are slim, but the fact that some have it increases confidence. And consumer confidence is reeeeally good for domestic markets !

I'm glad that you see my point though Mike.

- Joel