Observed Trials banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
wish i could pedal hop
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a ride on the stock the other day.

My rear wheel was slightly out of dish. We are talking about maybe 2mm. It’s been that way since I built it years ago but never bothered to shift it over a hair.
It wasn’t really an issue. It really only bothered me because of slight v brake ocd issues. I want my arms running pretty much parallel. None of that slightly kicked out or one at an angle different from one another. Drove me crazy even though it worked to perfection for years.
One drizzly morning I decided to dish it dead center. Done and done, 5 minutes later it’s over.
Time to recenter the brake arms. I guess I didn’t completely torque the pad down completely while tweaking into place.
Drove to a nearby park an headed for an amphitheater made of flagstone. One gap down no problem. Second gap down and the trusty TNN black pad separates from the Avid SL arms. Pad does not contact nicely ground rim.
Moving down about two feet and out maybe four, the bike loops out, pitching me horizontally midair then down flat on my back on the edge of the step. Head smacks flagstone.
Nothing but stars and the wind knocked out of me.
The bums nearby laughed their asses off.

Cracked two ribs. I do not recommend it. I had to sneeze earlier and thought I was going to black out or shit myself, or both.

If I had just dished that wheel right the first time, or double-checked my work...

By the way if I didn’t have helmet on the fall would have probably killed me or at least cracked my skull, so wear that lid kids.

·
wish i could pedal hop
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That I’ll I’ve been thinking about unfortunately. Lucky it was just ribs and ego. I’m getting older (43) and things hurt more than they used to.

·
Registered
39 Posts
80mg edibles + John Carpenter = healing powers
Oooooouch

I hit a tree at about the same age during an enduro in my Moto. Airlifted. 4 days in hospital. Many many rib fractures and blood in lings

Self hug prior to sneezing is key. Or wedge yourself into a corner. Whatever it takes to stabilize your chest prior to hacking up/sneezing/laughing.

hang in there!

·
Super Moderator
333 Posts
Is this the old guy injury thread? Had an incident at Rays last year for my bday. Approx 8ft fall to flat concrete landed directly on hip with secondary impact to helmet. Saw stars. Searing pain all through spine and thought for sure I was paralyzed. Someone asked if I could wiggle my toes and 5min later I walked out of there. The next 4 -5 weeks were... not comfortable.

·
wish i could pedal hop
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use a lot of belt wrapped around me to sneeze/cough
Getting better but still have to sleep sitting upright

this was from August
Mountain biking and lost it in a loose corner
Came down on pyramid shaped rock

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Hand Arm Leg Mouth Human body

Skin Joint Arm Leg Scar

·
wish i could pedal hop
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was my elbow
I can understand the confusion

luckily had a friend who’s a doctor. Had a suture kit at home. He stitched my up on his kitchen table while we pounded beers.

perhaps this can be a bodily or bike damage thread as suggested above

1 - 16 of 16 Posts