Brisa Fork bootleg fix

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by cck, Apr 12, 2004.

1. cck

cck Member

i recently bent my brisa fork steer tube some how. its very slight, like about 4mm to the right, but it screws up my handlebar posistion and headset. its bent towards the top, not at the bottom as it should be from hooks and slaps. but anyway, is there anypossiblity of bending it back? any suggestions? the steerer tube is very thick, but i'm thinking of trying a frame bender or something. would bending it back be safe, or would it break immediatley? Hope this has happened to someone before so that they can help me out.

thankee,
    cam

2. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Well, you say it is very thick, so I'm guessing this is the version with the aluminum steer tube?

Regardless of the steer tubes material, I'd be inclined to say that this is a bad idea and that the material has been stressed too much already. I think if it was steel instead of aluminum I'd be more inclined to try it, and if it was aluminum I'd be most wary.

With that being said though, if something happened to my fork and I couldn't afford to buy a new one, I'd try and fix it the best I could, so if it was unbearable for me to ride with the bend, I'd bend it back and then decide whether or not to ride it based upon how it turned out. If it felt like it was about to snap, I'd just scrap the whole idea and put aside riding until I could afford a new fork. If it felt good, I'd probably ride it, but be careful about what moves I do... until I can buy a new fork.

Good luck with this one, let us know what you decide :).

Bill

3. BrettM

BrettM New Member

If its the aluminum one its already got a huge ass reputation for busting. I wouldn't mess with that. It's probably one good tap or hook away. Try to warranty it. If its the steel one I still wouldn't mess with it. Try to warranty first. If no warranty then give er I guess.

I wouldn't ever ride it again if it was me tho. But I wouldn't have bought a Brisa fork to begin with either.

4. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

The best fix would be to start building a single speed coffee shop cruiser around it.I'm sure it's stong enough for the toughest of bar crawls on Thursday night. :bigthumb:

5. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

1. Buy new fork
    2. Install said fork on bike
    3. never buy anything made by brisa again
    5. Profit

6. Elan

Elan steve french

4 should just be obvious...thanks captain

7. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

3. never buy anything made by brisa again

Smarter words have never been spoken.

8. G-Jordan

G-Jordan Guest

Whats wrong with Brisa's elite bar and stem, they are great; well other then the price.

george