Breathing

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by cck, Jun 5, 2004.

1. cck

cck Member

recently i've realized that i hold my breath while doing basically any trials move. even while hopping on the back wheel sometimes. i can imagine, (although i'm not sure), that if i were to breath normaly during trials i would have much more stamina and not get as tired as fast. has anyone else experienced this problem? if so, has anyone fixed this problem?

thanks,
    cam

2. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

Haha yep

Yeah I noticed I had this problem. I started noticing it when I rode more lengthy natural sections. The key is, start rocking or trackstanding before you do your first move, and force yourself to breathe. Any time you can stop and trackstand or rock, check to make sure you are still breathing normally. After a while you start to breathe all the time....

I think it comes from worrying so much about balance that you stop breathing :p

3. nidoss

nidoss Guest

hahah i do the same thing some times. it took me a long while to force myself to breath while hopping on my rear wheel. i also noticed a lot of the time like when i do a drop or attempt a big pedal kick i bite my lip, im waiting for that to blow up in my face someday.

4. cck

cck Member

i used to lick my lips instead and my lips would be completely chapped into oblivion after a long ride.

5. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

I do the lip biting sometimes but seem to be ok on breathing

6. Lagerhead

Lagerhead New Member

I sometimes talk/mumble, to myself, my bike, the obstacle, whatever, it seems to help me with the breathing along with the mental thing also.

7. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

This is a very common problem with a lot of athletes in many sports. At least you figured it out, and yes it kills you endurance.

Working on breathing all the time, their is an exception, many times if you push all your air out just as you do an explosive move it helps with the move, but start breathing right away after that.

They do this in Karate all the time, when they yell just as they punch or kick.

If you learn to keep breathing you will get better much faster!

Jim VanSchoonhoven

8. AndyT

AndyT New Member

jimmy, karate is really really gay.

In real fighting you breathe out on your punch as a precaution so that you don't get the wind knocked out of you...seeing as you don't have full guard during a strike.

In trials I would say grunting is a completely mental thing...

9. digby

digby New Member

agreed karate is super gay, any martial art that does not bother to tell you what kiai is actually for, but makes you pronounce "kiai" exactly is dumb. You know what I mean if you have ever seen a karate practice, and everyone says kiai instead of doing a natural powerful exhalation.

muay thai however rocks.

actually, let me change that, modern karate, modern tae kwon do, and modern kickboxing(taebo whatever) are super gay commericalizations of the actual martial art.

old school versions are bad ass. The older ones, that arnt concerned with point fighting and just hitting as hard and as powerful as possible. Instead of throwing some gay kick and lightly but quickly tapping your opponent in the chest, you try to get your shin to meet the front of his backbone.

back to the topic

I also used to hold my breath all the time, especially in sections at comps. When I started riding road bikes, I'd ask myself, how is it I can ride a road bike for 1 1/2 hours and not be out of breath, and be gassed from riding a trials section? The answer, I hold my breath for alot of big moves, sidehops, taps, hopping on the back wheel, whatever. Just make yourself breath when you do those things, or on whatever your holding your breath on.

10. sebLG

sebLG New Member

* TSU!!! * ... that type of thing seems to help some riders.

11. AndyT

AndyT New Member

no doubt...everything is a mcdojo these days- unless you are doing full contact you are a joke. The true art forms are sweet, but very few people actually practice it fully.

12. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

I did Judo for many years. Other than to much male cantact it was okay!!!

Throwing people around in different forms is fun, but it's not always you throwing someone, sometimes it's quite the opposite.

I hate Karate I was in it but disliked the things that were already pointed out.

13. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

Andy, I mean Andrew David, sure Karate is gay, I worked at
    karate school when I was in my early 20s. The owner and head teacher was fresh from Japan.

But you are doing much more with "kiai" then just holding your breath to stop from getting the wind knocked out of you. And a person that does it right does not have to make any sound at all, One of the things it does is it helps your whole body tighten up and work as a solid unit. This helps you to actually recruit power from other parts of your body, and many times improves your leverage. It is part of what made Bruce Lee's one inch punch powerful.

It can be used on your bike in the same way and Jeremy does it when he does big moves. And like I said you don't need to make a sound. I am sure nobody at any of the comps even knows he does this.

But if they did notice they would know that is why is riding looks gay!

Good night, Andy... I mean Andrew David

Jim VanSchoonhoven

14. AndyT

AndyT New Member

How about you call me Andrew :ugh:

Bruce Lee was a joke, anyone that brings him up as an example of the ultimate fighter immediately has all of their credibility destroyed. oooOOoOOoH.... one inch punch- supa kool ^_^

Guess what- lots of people from japan come over here. It means absolutely nothing.

Let me ask you some questions of your karate school-

Was there a belt system?

Were there children/older people? Were they in mixed classes?
    Was it full contact?

finally, is this you in the picture?

[​IMG]

the big bald person.

15. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

I never said Bruce Lee was a the ultimate fighter. He was well known.

We used a belt system, to please the US people. But we also knew the system used in Japan was different and how we would fit in over there, In this style of Karate they have white belts, brown belts and black belts.

It was full contact, without pads, however you were not allowed to punch to the face, only kicking was allowed to the fact...they figured if you were so slow that you could not block a kick to the face you deserved to get hit in the face.

We didn't do very much sparingand when we did it was painful, but a fair amount of one move type practice, where both people knew what was going to happen.

This style of comp was not legal in the US at the time, but they are huge in Japan and the US had underground comps. When the Sensei kept pushing me to do comps I stopped.

Kids were allowed in the classes, and they also had kids classes. And they did have mixed classes very few woman ever stayed.

And I did not say the teacher "Sensei" was good because he was fresh from Japan. Only that that was were he was from, He did have permission from the top Sensei to open a school in the US and to run it slightly differently than the ones in Japan. And we would have visitors come from Japan and check up on the school. We actually studied two styles of Karate, one very traditional one from main land Japan and the other was a Hard-Soft style form Okinawa.

We also had to speak Japanese in the "dojo" class.

And yes, I am the fat out of shape balding guy in the picture.

And what I said about the breathing is still true, but nobody should use the information because I am fat and out of shape and Andrew said it won't work, because it is all in your head.

At least it works for some riders and you might want to give it a try.

Good night ANDREW, and to think I thought you were mister T.

I am sorry, if I was wrong!

Jim VanSchoonhoven

Last edited: Jun 6, 2004