Braking Issues/New to trials

Discussion in 'Beginner's Area' started by SumnerF, Apr 5, 2018.

1. SumnerF

SumnerF New Member

Hi everyone,
    Excuse me if I am posting wrong but I think this is the right place? This is my first post.
    I am starting off riding trials I acquired a bike about a week ago and have been riding it non stop.
    I have been able to do some basic things, endo turns, trackstands, and I can do about three or four rear wheel hops before I tip to the side or fall forwards/backwards.
    The more I have been practicing back hops I have noticed some struggles with the back brake preformance. It is a Magura HS-33 (Pre 2005) with upgraded pads and the rims are ground. (I’m using 1 finger as I do with my other bikes)
    The burning question is should I attempt to re-grind the rims and just mess with the brake pad distance from the rim? I spent about an hour last night with no luck. Or should I look for a brake booster, or maybe even just get a new set of the HS33, they are on sale for like $90 at chain reaction cycles, and those come with a booster.

I am a high school student with a pretty limited budget but I would rather make the right choices that would last me longer than have to buy More Things in the long run. I weigh about 160 pounds and I’ll attach a photo of the bike. It’s older.

Thank you!

Sorry this is so long.

Attached Files:

2. aaccjosh

aaccjosh Active Member

first make sure your brakes are set up perfectly square/parallel with the rim and evenly spaced (from the rim).
    second is good pads make a world of difference.
    third -depending on your pad choice- a fresh grind makes your brakes work much better.
    I haven't tried that many pads but with the harder compounds it seems a sharp grind is more necessary than with softer pads, I like the TNN black pads -the ADM- they're not so hard as to kill the grind too quickly And they work amazingly well on a dead grind, where the TNN green pads - the LGM- lock up better than any other pad I've tried with a fresh grind, but are lousy as soon as the sharp wears off the rim.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018

3. SumnerF

SumnerF New Member

Thank you for the advice! The person before me was the one who grinded the rim. Is there any way to grind them without an angle grinder? I know this sounds silly but maybe a dremil tool? That’s all I have.
    I did some investigating and it looks like the pads on there right now are the Magura ‘red race’.
    Thank you!

4. modtire

modtire Easy, just don't lead them as much

Use some tar (search on here for more tips). Also this is the grizzly old trials veteran in me speaking, but just deal with it. Brake slip could actually help you because when your body is in the right position (centered over the rear wheel) you don't actually need much brake power to stay. When it comes to gaps and other things that is a different story, but for now if you are getting 4 hops you are on the way and balance needs more practice than brakes.

5. aaccjosh

aaccjosh Active Member

the Magura pads (both red and black) have always seemed too hard to me, but they're useable.
    An alternative "grind" is to use a box cutter to score the rim every millimeter or so. It seems to work, but is very labor intensive and has a short life.

6. sk8dad

sk8dad every ounce of fun

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, or some other purveyor of cheap Chinese tools, then you could pick up an angle grinder for about $14. Yes they are unreliable, but who cares. Grinding rims is light duty for angle grinders. An alternative is a electric drill or a roto zip with appropriate attachments. Dremels are do-able, but like the box cutter, labor intensive.

aaccjosh likes this.