brakes?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by seattletrials, Jul 6, 2004.

1. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

Iv'e heard that the single didgit 7's are great v brakes. I've also heard that the ultimates are really good as well. I have an oportunity to get a brand new rear ultimate for 70 bucks or a brand new 7 for 35. is it worth it to get the ultimate? I'm not sure if its worth it to shell out the extra cash. let me know what you think about it. also what kind of pads should i use for the best stoping power, I will be using them on my new desalvo with ground and tared dx 32's. any info will help. thanks!

2. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

Just go for the ultimates if you want some bling. The sd7s will get the job done just as well. Grind and tar'd is overkill. With some koolstop pads you will only need a grind, it will be plenty powerful.

3. B1105

B1105 New Member

SD7 plus Plaz plus grind = cheap and awesome, ultimates if your can

4. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

I think I might jsut end up shelling out the extra cash and getting a high quality brake then(ultimates). does the lever make that much of a difference? I think with the levers i'll just save my money and get the single didget 7 levers. the ultimate levers are way too much money. I've also heard that using derailure housing improves the whole system stifness whise. any suggestions on cable? most likly I'll just use a normal brake cable, but if there are any cables out there that you know of that would be good let me know.

5. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

Well, the levers will make a difference too. I would recomend you don't get those Avid levers, they'll get sloppy quickly. Get some XT, or if you have the money, XTR levers. Those are better built, and don't have slop in the blade pivot, and feel more confortable and firmer than Avid levers. As for the cables, if you get the XTR levers, they'll come with XTR cables and housings, which are really good.

Derailleur housing, yes it's made so it doesn't stretch, so that indexed derailleur systems don't have to be readjusted all the time. But, when in use, derailleur housing doesn't see anywhere near as much stress and force as brake housing does, so they aren't as up to the task as actual brake housing. I've heard of people using them without much problems, but they have to be replaced more often, since they start splaying out at the ends, and in some extreme cases, the metal strands that run the length of the housing might even break through the housing cover, essentially exploding. That, and some brake cables are too fat to fit in derailleur housing like Shimano. So if you want to try it, you can, but keep in mind they have to be replaced more often due to the durability issues. I would just order the XTR cable set, or even just run standard housing and cable from the bike shop, and keep it well setup and lubed.

1 person likes this.
  6. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

wethepeople skick cables.....come in pink.....haha, theyre nice feeling too, last a good about of time, and are $8

7. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

well. i just got a suggestion from one of my xc buddies and he says that avid arch rivals are the best available mechanical rim brake out there... any suggestions? right now i've kinda decided that the ultimates are just too expensive at this time. even though its a good deal i just can't afford it.

what do people think about using maggies. I know they work well, I've ridden them before, but then again vee's when set up properly work exelent as well... does anyone think that getting a set of maggies for 150 bucks would be better than a set of vee's for 80 bucks? I would like to not make a bad choice so if anyone has any good ideas on what to do. let me know. there are just too many options!

8. bwagner

bwagner New Member

I LOVE MY MAGGIES. They're my favorites, I like the feel of a nicely set up set of V's too, but not as nice as my HS33 setup. Just my opinion

9. Elan

Elan steve french

avid arch rivals are a horrible idea for trials..im not sure your buddies info is quite accurate anyways. sd-7 brake arms do their job just fine, they just arent as quality as the ultimates. the levers make more of a difference than anything. like roman said, just get a piar of shimano xt or xtr levers and you are good. pads, rim surface ,and even cables, are more important than type of brake arm IMO. just never get the arch rivals or any otehr paralell-push system v-brake, they develop horrible play in the pivots and just become really sloppy and powerless

i would not recommend running the maguras on a bike with canti boss brake mounts. they never seem to work all that well. v-brakes can work just as well as a four-bolt magura system if they are sut up properly.

10. seattletrials

seattletrials New Member

rad. thanks. i just talked to mike desalvo and my bike is being finished the begining of next week and will go out to be powdercoated orange(similar to the honda element orange) and i should get it in about 2 weeks! I'm so pumped. my king headset and hubs(all black with heavy duity rear axle and funbolts) showed up 2 days ago and I'm ordering my dx 32s next week, along with a rear brake(I have a brake for up front for now) it'll be the sd 7's with a black salsa brake booster. sd 7 levers, xtr cable, azonic double walled handlebars(most comfortable for my hands) and kool stop salmon pads. Its like Christmas in July!... thanks sleep country usa... I was able to warrenty my truvativ hussefelts(i bent them) and upgraded to holzfellers so i'll be set for a long time there. I can't wait! 2 weeks then i'll be able to ride trials again!!! I've gone too long without riding trials. huckin is fun too. but i want to ride again. . . soon enough. . . .

11. Elan

Elan steve french

you'll love that desalvo. good feeling bikes.