Brake Setup

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Ross, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Ross

Ross New Member

I am a beginner so forgive me if the answer to my question is painfully obvious. Here goes. What is the logic behind having a disk brake up front and a magura on the rear, as Vincent Hermance does. Cant you generally get more power out of a disk than you can out of a magura? Dont most people like to have either a more powerful or equally powerful rear brake as their front brake. Since I am a beginner trials rider, I am in no position to question Hermance's setup but I was just wondering why one would set up their brakes like that. Thanks.

2. B1105

B1105 New Member

I don't have a disc or a magura in my current trials bike, but generally a disc has more power than the magura, which is really helpful on front wheel moves. Having V's on the front isnt really that powerful but its not limiting, but a disc has quite a bit of power and IMO can be modulated the most among Vs and Maguras.

Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong.

3. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Disks aren't put on the back wheel because in trials the disk puts so much stress on the frame, and it will break. There are only about 2 bikes that you could put a disk on the rear without breaking the frame.

As a beginner you should go with a V in the rear since they are simpler to set up and cheap. Make shure you have sticky pads and a grind otherwise the brakes will slip.

Hermance uses HS33 on the rearcause his frame is designed for it. Plus maggies are powerfull and work well if you know what you are doing with them, which Hermance does.

Disk on the front is the best though.

4. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

NO trials frame will hold up more than a years worth of riding with dual discs. rear discs need their kinks taken out before they will be widely marketed (but nobody seems to be working on new rear disc designs so that won't happen any time soon).
    front discs are awesome, but rear discs just have to many bugs in them. so, people go "hey look, magura, lets get one of those. they hydrolic-hydrolic=good". WRONG, magura's suck. they are a pain, but that is what people use.

end of useless post

5. Ross

Ross New Member

Why is it that you think Maguras Suck?

6. Abbwoman

Abbwoman Mayor of Fold City

i have proof of the disk brake breaking frames, snaped my mountain bikes seatstay above the brake from doing back hops.

-Adam

7. average mike

average mike Guest

They are kind of a pain in the ass to set up, they leak sometimes, and they are expensive compared to vees.

8. KeepRollin

KeepRollin New Member

Generally the feel of a HS-33 will be more solid than a vee. Leaking be damned!

9. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

my magura constantly leaks pretty much. just a tiny bit, nothing noticeable-aside from the fact that i have to rebleed/readjust every 3 months. thank god magura's are so reliable and easy to adjust (sarcasm). why can't frame companies just make their frames with vee mounts? oh yea, i forgot, that would make sense.

10. Ross

Ross New Member

how long does it take and how difficult is it to bleed maguras?

11. KeepRollin

KeepRollin New Member

I would just like to go on record that mine have never leaked and it's been a year and a half.

12. B1105

B1105 New Member

Everyone has mixed experiences, if you search this forum, there are threads by users claiming Maguras to be the worst invention ever, and then some people who feel they are the best. I have never had/installed Maguras but I have worked on bikes with them in the shop, and it seems if their instaled/maintained correctly, they could be awesome brakes, but Vs on the other hand can be powerful and cheaper. My next bike will have maggies, so I will get to see for once.

13. trialsin' my blood

trialsin' my blood i'm feeling fat and sassy

I've had maggies on my bike for nearly two years now, and never had a problem with them leaking. They are a pain to set up, but once you get it right, they're awesome. As for the arguement which is better maggies or V's, I think it has more to do with feel and personal preference than anything else.

14. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

10 mins. It's easy. None of my original magura parts have ever sprung a leak. I had a RB lever which started leaking for a while. I've had my maggies for 9 months.

Power is great when setup good. They are not very powerfull if set up wrong. I'm afraid I haven't tested proper v-brakes at the rear. But as I take it from some of the more reliable peoples on this forum V-brakes have the same power if not more with less hassle. So it seem vees are the way to go these days.

15. Ryden

Ryden Guest

I vote vees, I love my avids, and from the sounds of it, they are way less hassle.

16. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

megamo?

17. kamil

kamil Guest

maguras are good, you guys bitch so much about bleeding them, it takes like 5 minutes to bleed them and another 5 to set them up after a bleeding. give me a break. 10 minutes to be back on your bike.. 10 minutes is like what, one less talk with your riding buddy.. 10 minutes thats less than the time it takes to grind a set of wheels.
    anyone who runs water in them knows you are done so fast, you don't have to worry about spilling or anything just tip the bike over undo two screws and bleed... all you whiney bitches out there should run tears through your lines since you are in no shortage.

18. Ross

Ross New Member

I am getting an ACTUAL trials bike here before too long and they will have maguras on them. Ive read a bit about them and it doesnt sound like they will be too much trouble if I just take the time to set them up correctly the first time.

19. CoppellStereo

CoppellStereo Ruff Rider

i want an actual trials bike, but my hope for that went out the window, just like my stereo did, :mad: but I am in Dallas if you ever want to ride, I am a beginner too

20. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Ryden, arnt you the guy in Kevin's short solo COtrials vid? if so, arnt you ridding a coust... adapters?

The question is Why run a complicated hydrolic system that a dozon things can go wrong with? when you can just run vees - cheeper, every part is easily replacable within minutes, takes 2-5 minutes to setup, a bunch more durable. If you have a nice setup they feel just as damn good, different but for the better. Some people complain about about cable stretch, so tighten the barrel adjuster (or whatever the adjustable thing on the lever is called.) that takes about 30sec. Replacing the whole cable only takes a couple of minutes. Power is equal, again a little different but easily equal.
    The only reason I see (perhaps someone can enlighten me) to have hs33's is cuz the french are silly frame designers, and probably MADLY paid to have magura specific mounts.