Brake problem.

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Coramoor, May 10, 2004.

1. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

I have this problem. I'm a lazy dude and usually can't be bothered to grind to often if at all. Which usually works just fine. But lately my brakes have been really bad unless I have a pretty fresh grind. Now I've read about dust. And since it now has gotten dry and dusty outside I'm thinking this might be the reason. So what do you guys do about dust? I have maggies with rb-lever and koxx pads. The koxx pads are getting pretty worn down and old. Can brake pads get old and thus work bad? Mine are about 4-5 months old...

I've taken to natural lately and good brakes seem to be much more important when I'm out on the uneven stuff.

2. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

koxx pads work better with a grind, so that could be one problem. try cleaning your rim and pads with some simple green or something like that, make sure everything is paralell and all, and if that doesnt work grind the hell out of it.

oh and an old pad shouldnt effect it much unless its really worn or something.

3. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

Even if you're lazy, you don't even have to take your wheel off to grind. I recently put the first grind on my rear wheel (thanks Digby :bigthumb: ),and it made a big difference. Not sure if having metal shards fly around is that bad for your drivetrain, so I cleaned it afterwards, but here's how I was shown to grind: Deflate the rear tire so you can use one hand to push the tire out of harm's way, and either lay your bike down on the ground, or just set it upside down, then have at it. As long as you're careful, you shouldn't have any problems. That way, you don't have to deal with pulling your rear wheel off.

4. bigd

bigd Guest

you pretty much answreed all of your own questions.

a fresh grind will help to kind of scrape the pads clean. dust makes pads slippery. clean your rims if you don't like to grind. if you ride dusty natty, you will be cleaning approx every 15 minutes. i found this out myself, it sucks. just get off your lazy ass and grind. yes pads get hard and lose their bite. just like tires, they get old and hard and will crack. at least file or sand the pad surface clean and do what you can to clean the rim. but a grind is best, especially for natty. sometimes you can get away wth clean smooth rims if you only ride urban. natural is a whole different story. theres no magic answer, you just have to stay on top of your brake maintenance.

just grind it and get new pads.

5. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Riding old pads on Maggies don't forget to readjust your pistons to compensate for the pad wear. Never mess with the TPA if you can help it.
    Best bet is to buy new pads when they get pretty low. Sucks for money though... I used alcohol to clean my rims and pads before having a good grind.. helps a lot if you do it often.

6. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Yeah. I guess I'll start grinding more... Thanks for the replys. I was hoping you guys had found some magic way off repelling dust. I'll get new pads too I guess. They're down to 1/3 maybe 1/4...

7. thewezley

thewezley Guest

Im usin Vs cos i cant fit my fckin maggie on my caribou custom trials frame cos i bought a try all rim thats like 50 times bigger than any normal persons rim and im usin tar on the rim and it works fine but with out tar its wank. and go me i managed to pnch flat my rear tube then my front tube right after how shit is that fuckin pointty edges and i run 35 psi

8. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

is romford in britain?

9. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

$10, 10:1 odds.

10. AgrAde

teehee! it is! :rofl:

11. OTAdmin

Where's my hundred bucks bizzle? :p

12. AgrAde

hey, i never took you up on that bet!
    fizzle your mizzle with your pizzle, fo shizzle my nizzle. what the hell is that crap anyway?

13. OTAdmin

no idea, I just think its funny :)

14. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Dust is my arch rival it seems... wope your rims clean every hour of ridding and every couple of rides scup it proberly with a rag and isopropynol.

15. Ryden

Ryden Guest

Sorry about off topicness, but I've got a problem with cleaning shit off my rims too. I'm running sd7s, and rigt where the cenre of the pad touches theres a big black line of crap on my rim. It won't come off with alcohol either. Its in the non paralell to spoke grooves that are on the rim. Oh and I'm using rim wrangler pads, hahaha, worst pads ever!

16. bigd

bigd Guest

theres a lot of stuff alchohol can't clean. acetone is much more powerful, but use alchohol to get any residue left by the acetone.

for your black crap, you'll have to use sandpaper or some kinda scrub pad. theh hit it with the chemicals.

17. Tanner

Tanner New Member

hydrochloric acid works for me...

18. AgrAde

oven cleaner is god.