brake pad material, what is it?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by dingus, Mar 27, 2004.

1. dingus

dingus Member

hora le
    Id like to make some brake pads for myself,
    does anyone know what material to use, I cant think of the name.. vinyl, no.. lenoleum, no... something...

and where's a good place to pick that up?

:slap:

2. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

Most of the brake pad materials are made from some type of nyon / synthetic rubber compound. I don't know if you can find it bulk to cut. Try tire manufactures and the like. You can make urethane with some simple chemistry (god I hated that class).

Try calling comanies that make Skate board/roller blade wheels. They probably have excess and are willing to part with it. They make all types of compounds. Krypton or Kryptonite ... can't remember, makes those things here in colorado. There has to be something like that made in San Diego!

3. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

I was tinkin urethane too! Some really soft shizz like 85a durometer
    hippe-board wheels would stick quite well.Might wear quick, but why don't they make super sticky pads that wear quick with replaceable cartridge type pads.....anyway...

4. pav

pav New Member

me and my mate mickey are currently waiting for our 2 silocone pads, our 1 tar/loctite(blue thread glue stuff) and our other pad made from "sellys fix it, fixes anything to just about anything"

when we try them we will post back about them, we are always thing up of new htings to use

please give us ideas!

pav

5. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

6. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

go to trialsin.com and check out the plazmatic page, it does a great job at explaining the chemistry behind brake pads. My film school mind does not comprehend all of it, but it explains that softer compouds do not result in the best brake pads necesarilly...

7. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

in japan, you can buy brake pad shit to glue into your magura backing by the meter. $15us / m i belive.

8. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

are you serious? thats kinda cool.

9. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

yeah, a dude from singapore runs them. He runs realy realy short magura backings too. And its realy good shit, seems similar to spanish fly material.

10. sebLG

sebLG New Member

yeah harley had some of that stuff, or maybe still has it. you cut it then stick it into the backing .,.. obviously.

11. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

or you could be like me and just run a set of these and never worry about your brakes ever. michel made these. it took him forever to get it right.
    [​IMG]

making your own pads is hard. finding the proper compound and then finding a reliable way of fizing it to the pad backing... that is harder than it sounds.

12. sebLG

sebLG New Member

where do i get those? are they not cous pads? how do u run em onn ur v's, or did you change bike again.

13. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

hmm those cous pads are probably expensive.. meh I'll just wait till Zoo bring out a copy. probably look/work about the same anyway but cost half the price!!

(sorry i couldnt resist) :p

on another note, i know someone running the blue Echo pads atm.. will have to check them out. or just get Plaz pads.

14. WhiteRavenKS

cous pads will be available soon. they will be around 20-25 bucks a pair from what i hear. not bad considering they blow the ass off any other pad i have ever tried (koxx bloxx come close i guess).

15. durkie

durkie Member

while we're on it, does anyone know anything about a do-it-yourself plaz type coating? it seems like that would be a better alternative to grinding, because the coating really does just last forever. maybe some spray on abrasive type stuff? plus you aren't slowly making your wheels decay...

16. WhiteRavenKS

uhh.... truck bed liner is about the only thing you could do yourself that i can think of. if you tried putting on something like real plaz coating yourself you would probably be in the hospital.

17. durkie

durkie Member

why? what is it?

edit: okay, that post was a little short-sighted. for anyone wanting to know what it is, here's what i've found so far: (http://www.section7.co.uk/forum.pl?m=374)

18. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

I've found three companies in the eastern half of the US who are willing to coat rims. I was considering offering this service, but it's just so damn expensive. In batches of ten, it would be $75 per wheel.

If you're interesting in fiding out about it, google HVOF +tungsten.