Brake lever angles

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Sforzando, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Sforzando

Sforzando Guest

I noticed (as you would) that my front brakes were slipping sometimes when endoing and I found that my right index finger didn't really have enough pull on the brake lever. So, I changed the angle on my front brake lever so it was a little bit higher and I find it alot easier to grab a handful of front brakes now. I never seem to have any trouble with my left index finger reaching the levers - and both index fingers are the same length. Maybe its cause I have my left foot forward which affects the angles of my arms...or maybe not !?

Anyway, now the brake levers aren't level with each other and I was wondering if anybody else has done the same. It feels a little bit funny at first having the levers at different angles. I am sure I will get used to it, but, is it a bad set up to have them at different angles or is it just whatever works is good ?

I ride an T-Raptor which has hs33's with the red pads.

Cheers.

2. Todd

Todd Guest

holy

Everyone around here makes fun cuz i do the exact same thing as you....haha. I like it more with my front brake lever up more than my rear, im also left foot forward. It's cool to know someone else does it. I heard a rumor some euro dudes do it too though.

3. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

hmmmm, im going to have to try that

4. B1105

B1105 New Member

I did the same, but over time i think my fingers grew, so I angled it back down, but yea, I think it does make it more comfortable.

5. Todd

Todd Guest

6. RT Wolf

RT Wolf Insanity Studios Inc.

I have my right foot forward and my right brake a bit higher than the left. Weird.

7. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

coustellier brothers (i think) have their rear brake lever angled fartheer up, so that once on rear wheel they have a better grasp of the lever. their front brake lever is farther down, seeing as when doing front wheel moves your rear end will be higher than front end.

i personally like them the same angle. i've tried Coust style for a while, and it worked, but i got lazy and reverted back to the old way. it works fine. i like my levers higher up than most do though....

8. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

mine are level, the stock magura levers are the perfect length for my fingers, so i keep them sorta down more than some people.

i know people whit huge hands who put the brakes down almost vertical..and to make sure theyre at a good angle they flip it up onto the bars.."if the lever cant touch the ground its golden"

i found though, that having my brakes higher makes reaer wheel moves harder? because your wrist goes like ___/ to hold onto the brake, instead of just like straight forward, and vice versa for the front..but i dont know, most of the crap i do on my bike many other people would think is stupid anyway..

and in tha tpicture, the way its taken makes his head look unusually large. or to me at least..

9. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

what is a normal angle? i see some pics around the 45 deg, about where i have mine now, then i see a few guys who have the like straight down, is there a good range where they should be? or is it all personal preference?

10. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

it's all personal preferance. i used to run my levers practically straight out horizontal. i've ridden levers where they are vertical. it's all personal preferance...just make sure that whatever angle you pick, that you are able to comfortably reach the lever in ALL positions (whether that be on a pedal up in the air, on a sidehop once the rubber touches the obstacle, on a surge before you take off, on a wheelswap...etc etc)

11. Sforzando

Sforzando Guest

At the moment I can't do alot of moves, so it is good to know that some other people do the same as I have done. Maybe as I progress and get to know my way around the bike a bit more it may change again.

I've even thought of moving one of the brake levers inwards along the bar as I always seem to grab the lever halfway along, and i presume you would get more leverage the further along you grab it (as long as you're not going to miss!!)

Just on a sidenote for the Americans regarding brake handles.. Do you have your front brake on the right and back brake on the left or the other way around? It sounds like a silly question, but a bike shop told my brother that was the reason they sold him a bike that had front brake on the left and back brake on the right (since it came from the US.) They were nice enough to change them round for him. I figured they just stuffed up, which wouldn't be the first time...

Thanks for the replies

12. Tanner

Tanner New Member

Well, I run it like rear brake on the right, front on the left. However, some people in the US will run the front brake on the left, and rear on the right.

13. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Yes. In North America it is rear brake on the right and front on the left for the most part.

14. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

ummm, u said the same thing there tanner

but yea, everybike ive seen in the shop i work at is right rear, left front
    but ive seen people on the trail w/ the right for the front, he called it "euro"

15. Tanner

Tanner New Member

Whoa...I did..but..if I hit the back button enough times it says that front on the right, rear on the left..weeeeeeeeeeird.

16. pav

pav New Member

Some people run their levers under the bars, as in like so far down that your hands must go around and under.
    If there are any aussies here a good example of this is Jono. He is like 6.5ft on a monty mod and he is just so big over it that he has to run his levers like this or else he cant lock the brake. Just experiment, I did and found somewhere good and have not touched it in ages.

pav

17. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

I ran my rear lever (RB) fairly far up but found it harder when I was doing wheelswitches and moves where the bike is vertical and your weight is over the front axle(ish). Now its kinda 45deg (down, of course) and works ok

left rear right front

18. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

any one in america who rides a motorbike will use their brakes the corect way around.

19. Ali C

Ali C "bmxer"

my levers have been getting higher and higher, they arn't level though, in betwen level and 45degree.

I also have my front brake lever a little higher than my back, I am right footed and because I am English, I have my front brake on the right.

20. BrettM

BrettM New Member

I can think of 4 or 5 of my buddies who ride a motorbike and a mountain bike and none of them run their brakes with the front brake on the right. Its not really that difficult to get used to switching back and forth. I don't know one person who runs them "the correct" way. I've seen it a couple times tho.

All bikes sold in North America will come with rear brake on the right.