Brake housing

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by crashnscar, May 17, 2004.

1. crashnscar

crashnscar Guest

What do you think is the most compressionless housing available?

Anyone tried Aztec housing?

This is for a front avid so par of the way I will probably have something similar to a full metal jacket

2. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

3. B1105

B1105 New Member

XTR is the way to go

4. bigd

bigd Guest

make that three for xtr.

there is no noticable difference from this to anything more expensive, so theres no reason to use anything else.

5. JK

JK New Member

XTR for sure. Don't bother with that fancy housing. My Avid feels mint.

6. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

regular housing kept up and replaced often works pretty damn good too.

7. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

every one goes on and on about housing, but the fact is alot of people cant set up their vees for shit and get more mush from that then any housing will make a difference. every one talkes about xtr housing but realy i dont think it would be that noticeable unless you are running either an avid disk or an avid ultimate.

8. crashnscar

crashnscar Guest

I'm running an avid disc

9. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

If a minor bit of weight isnt a problem and you dont mind spending the cash, the avid flak jacket is a good setup too for minimizing compression. But XTR is good enough.

10. Cory

Cory Guest

At the risk of starting a fight, Nokon housing is more resistant to compression than XTR.

(If you haven't used Nokon housing do everyone a favor and don't bother responding saying that this is false)

And no it's not a gimmick

And no it's not overpriced, once you buy the set you only need to replace the cable and the teflon liner as it wears. You can buy the liner for 2.50 per meter. A set for front and rear is about 60 dollars.

11. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

nokon housing does NOT compress. it is far superior, in terms of stiffness, to any other housing set up.

12. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

i havnt tried them, but i think nokon housing is a gimmick.

13. Cryo-Cube

Cryo-Cube -----------

sorry to up this old thread, but i have to add this.
    I was running nokon housing since the first day i got my trials bike. So i had no idea how good/bad it was compared to others.

Today i bought xtr housing because i felt like trying something else.
    Well XTR has no chance against Nokon, when switched to XTR housing today it fellt so flexy and mushy (comared to my nokon setup). I was like "wtf did i forget to put in the brake booster or what?"

My advise, if you have the money get the nokon, its way stiffer then xtr and its long lasting

14. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

fools...run regular housing, replace all cabling&housing every season.
    get the XTR for a slightly better feel but dont make it into a big deal. Between your frame, canti mounts, brake arms, brake pads, cables, and levers, a slightly less compressable housing makes a minimal difference. If your really good its worth it, but like I said, its not worth making a big deal about.

15. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

housing does make a difference if you have a decent lever, caliper and booster. with standard housing (which I use on my XC bike because it doesn't really matter, less brakes = better time) I can see it compressing as I pull the lever. I've always used avid flak jacket with great success on my trials bikes. Flak jacket is freely available over here, whereas I've never seen the XTR housing.

- Joel

16. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

bloodhound, nokon isn't "slightly less compressable". it is significantly compression-less

17. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

had a go with my xtr set up today....not much to say other than it worked.
    extremely
    fucking
    good

18. Ghetto

Ghetto Guest

Some of you seem to read into this a little but much maybe?! A standard shimano outer (comes off a big reel at my lbs and they cut it to a length for me...) with a standard shimano inner.. seems to work fine. Am I missing out or something? XT caliper, XTR lever... seems to be smooth lubed with a drop of finishline wetxc.

19. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

some people just need their brakes rock hard?

i personally don't like the feel of *extremely* non-compressing brakes. don't ask me why.
    i use the standard shimano outer/inner same as you, once i get a booster on my vees they will be fine and dandy.

20. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

the xtr housing does give a stiff brake feeling. i have a xtr lever on a sd7 brake with xtr cables and housing, and the brake is rock solid. too solid for my liking, thats why i had to dial in the leverage dealie on the lever to the max, and even then its still really stiff. the max leverage setting gives tons and tons more power though. its awesome.