Borrow Bike Box

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by cck, Jun 29, 2004.

1. cck

cck Member

I'm leaving for france this upcomming saturday. I need a bike box for the plane. Just wondering if anyone would let me borrow their's. Of course i will pay for shipping to me and back. I just cant drop even 100 bucks for the cheapest bike box i can find. But i dont think just a cardboard box will cut it. any help greatly appreciated.
    thanks,
    cam

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

call around to every local shop you can think of cam. chances are one of them will have one you can rent/borrow. be a lot less hassel than trying to fanagle one from another rider on here farther away.

3. cck

cck Member

good call kevin. i will do that. but remember cleveland bike shops dont even know how to true wheels, so i'm skeptical.

but anyway, from experience, what is the best way to pack them? i.e. both wheels off.. ect...ect

4. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

cam,

both times ive gone out to europe with my bike, ive used cannondale cardboard boxes. they're tough and strong. with that box, you need to take off both wheels.

if you can get a sturdy box, definetly get it. if not, try cannondale boxes

just take your handlebar out of the stem, ziptie it to the frame, and wrape the hell out of it. make sure to stick in a front hub and skewer and also arear hub if you take your rear wheel out. take your pedals off. pack the tools with the bike. put all of your parts and tools in a bag. i usually put my shoes/helmet any other riding gear in there. dont forget though, 60 pound weight limit for international flights.

hope that helped

5. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

cam,

vince came to america with a cardbored box. why not you go to france with one :?

6. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

if you have to resort to using a cardboard box, get two or three and double up on the sides/top/bottom. and have some spare sheets in the box to patch up the holes that the tossers will undoubtedly put into the box for the trip home.

as for packing, take everything apart.... the more you break it down the less chances you will be welcomed to unpleasant surprises when you get there. take your fork off, take both wheels off, skewers out, pedals off, fix your crank to a stay, unbolt the der, loosen levers/shifter on your bars, leave your headset cap off... bring spare everything you have pretty much too. especially tubes... you may have never pinched on home turf but there is nothing like being half way around the world to spark a wildfire of pinches... just ask jeremy or vince.

7. oicdn

oicdn Guest

my friend came with me here...the LBS boxed up his bike for $30....they disassembled it and everything...all he had to do was put on the wheels, derailleur, and bars...makes me think I wasted cash on this iron case...

8. AndyT

AndyT New Member

my iron case is falling apart :rofl:

One of the straps just ripped out :wtc:

9. TRA

TRA this is very uninteresting

i bought a insanely large bag to put the bike in, i take off the wheels and pedals and i just stuff it all into the bag , with spare parts and such, throw on shoulder and walk around, worked fine for me =)

have never payed anything for extra charge either

10. B1105

B1105 New Member

im not paying for an iron case, so i may try to make a decent bike box out of many bike boxes. has anyone ever done this?

11. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

There was a topic posted a while ago, again discussing transporting bikes and stuff. Here's the link to the topic:

https://www.observedtrials.net/vb/showthread.php?t=6557&page=1&pp=25&highlight=bike+box

There is a cool alternative to buying a box posted in that topic, the direct link to the instructions is here:

http://members.shaw.ca/boxyourbike/

Also, I've heard of plenty of riders using big bags like Thomas said, like hockey bags etc, and just stuffing everything in there. They don't get charged like a bike box would.

When I sold my mod and shipped it across the country, I just used a thick bike box, a Rocky Mountain one for the RM7 which was doubled up already and wider than most boxes. I just let the air out of the tires, took off the pedals, removed the front wheel and put one of those plastic fork spreader dealies that come in boxes when they get shipped to bike shops, took off the pedals and bars, ziptied the bars to the toptube and the crank to the stay, tied the front wheel to the side of the frame, and padded everything up using some pipe insulation I had laying around, and some of those styrofoam packing things for TV's and such. I stuffed the box so that nothing inside could move or shift around. Then I went over all the seams and edges of the box with lots of packing tape and then duct tape, and wrote "FRAGILE" all over the box in big letters. The bike arrived safe and all.

So I would suggest using a bike box, and even doubling them up if you wanted. Just be sure to pad everything, and tape it up real good all over. Write Fragile on the box while you're at it, even something like "Abstract sculptures" or something, hahaha.