Observed Trials banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

New member here! It has been a while since I have ridden a trials bike - probably close to 15 years. However, I have recently got the itch to ride again and I want to do it while my body is able to do so. Call it a mid-life crisis if you will. I used to ride stock bikes competitively and at a fairly high level. These days I do a fair amount of aggressive mountain biking. I am intrigued by the possibility of getting a 24' street trials bike, as I don't see myself doing competitions or much natural riding. I see myself mostly doing urban assault and skate parks. I don't mind spending money on quality parts/bikes, and am looking to see what you all recommend. I am a lanky 5'11" with an arm length that would be more appropriate for someone 6'1". I tend to prefer aluminum over steel for the feel and weight advantages. I also would prefer to buy a complete bike rather than building one part-by-part. Based on what I can see, the Inspired Flourplay and Skye look like possibilities. I worry that the Skye might be too cramped - but it is hard to tell because there is very little information available on either of these bikes. I would love to hear advice from anyone who has ridden one of these, or something similar. Thanks in advance for you input.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hey fellas,

New member here! It has been a while since I have ridden a trials bike - probably close to 15 years. However, I have recently got the itch to ride again and I want to do it while my body is able to do so. Call it a mid-life crisis if you will. I used to ride stock bikes competitively and at a fairly high level. These days I do a fair amount of aggressive mountain biking. I am intrigued by the possibility of getting a 24' street trials bike, as I don't see myself doing competitions or much natural riding. I see myself mostly doing urban assault and skate parks. I don't mind spending money on quality parts/bikes, and am looking to see what you all recommend. I am a lanky 5'11" with an arm length that would be more appropriate for someone 6'1". I tend to prefer aluminum over steel for the feel and weight advantages. I also would prefer to buy a complete bike rather than building one part-by-part. Based on what I can see, the Inspired Flourplay and Skye look like possibilities. I worry that the Skye might be too cramped - but it is hard to tell because there is very little information available on either of these bikes. I would love to hear advice from anyone who has ridden one of these, or something similar. Thanks in advance for you input.
Do it! I'm tall(ish 6'2") and ride an Arcade, which is the longest of the inspireds (reach), steel, and it is an awesome machine. That said I've never ridden an aluminum Inspired but I have ridden a couple chinese fourplay (ish) bikes and I don't think the shorter reach will be a problem. You'd probably be happy with one of those. the Skye is shorter so if you're worried about that go with the Fourplay.... the skye is cooler? so if you can afford one....

The only reasons against a street trials bike (For a comp bike) SideHop. they sidehop much easier due to weight and geo. for this reason small stuff is easier on the comp bike too, such as rolling up onto like table top high- requires a hop on a shorter wheelbase bike... but that's obviously negated by skill level at some point.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
If you’re not dead set on 24” I have a complete Inspired Hex for sale. Little bit longer top tube than the 24s (I think). Older model but it’s basically brand new with some nice components on it.

·
There can only be one DMAN
3,366 Posts
Andy-

I didn’t realize that was you until you PMed me, it’s been along time since we’ve ridden man.I’m back and forth from Boston and MV a lot these days.Still mainly riding mod and a few other 1 off customs as well.

I sent you back my email/cell and when I’m back in a week or so.We can possibly plan a ride, it’s killer that you’re riding again.Most of the original riders from back in the day, have retired due to injuries. Or have just stopped riding all together..

Parts are still failing on me..lol

thedman

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So this forum is dead-AF. But in an interest in keeping it going, i will update that I bought a used inspired arcade complete build from JJ Super G for those who know old school trials. My back has been terrible recently - but wow does the new technology and geometry make a difference. Don’t mind the steel frame at all, and the geometry is incredibly nimble and playful. Starting to feel like it might have been a better choice than the fourplay or Skye considering costs and case use. JJ did a nice job of setting it up well. I have Since convinced another bloke I used to ride with to join the party with his old echo 26”. Next up a meetup with the demo man himself to see what will break first - my back or some part on his bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts