BMX bb's

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by PJL, Oct 19, 2004.

1. PJL

PJL War is Peace

Hey guys,

I'm building up a DMR Sidekick as a street bike and got the version with the American bb shell and horizontal dropouts. I was just curious if anyone offers an ISIS-spindle bb to fit the bmx shell. I have a reducer to fit a euro type bb but if possible I'd like to run a bmx size bb with larger bearings.

I was digging around FSA's site and came across these

It looks like what I'm looking for but wtf is the Megatech standard? Is that just their own name for bmx shell bbs?

Also, check out the other bb's on FSA's site, they've got some pretty cool looking external bearing isis models now.

2. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

The following is a lesson is reading comprehension lets follow along:

Aluminum spindle

[​IMG]Press-fit BB for MegaTech BB Standard (No Cups)[​IMG][​IMG]MegaDurable custom oversize deep-groove sealed cartridge bearings[​IMG][​IMG]For Road / XC Only[​IMG][​IMG]Chromoly crank bolts (M-8)[​IMG][​IMG]68mm x 108mm only[​IMG][​IMG]180 grams

KEY THINGS TO NOTE

-ALUMINUM SPINDLE
    -180 GRAMS
    -ROAD OR XC USE ONLY[​IMG]

street? i dont think so.

3. PJL

PJL War is Peace

Wow Dan you are sooo funny. :hsugh:

They make a steel axle version of that bb too, I just didn't link to it. I found the Megatech standard website (oversizedbb.com) and it said:

I mainly wanted the bearing size and easy service of a set of 3-pc cranks without the weight. Anyway, after a bit more googling I found this:

http://www.mbaction.com/detail.asp?id=573

Sounds like a good idea but that article is from 2002 and I haven't heard much since. Sometimes the industry is stupid, (ie integrated headsets) and the most logical ideas somehow slip through.

4. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I think it depends on how heavy/smooth you are more than anything. I wouldn't go doing street on some Ultegra cranks, but you get the idea. I think lighter and/or smoother riders can SOMETIMES cut corners. I mean shit, look at leech, he's using DM24's front and rear with an EXR fork....granted he can get new ones at a whim, I doubt he'd put on complete shit cause then, things would just be breaking more than riding..you just have to find that part where it's not overbuilt for YOUR riding...which really sucks doing.

But, in the big scheme of things, I second Dan on his post....

5. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

buy a profile, you will love yourself forever.

6. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

PJL I was kidding, and if you click on the steel version the side still says "Road"

7. PJL

PJL War is Peace

Dan, I figured you were kidding, but it's hard to tell on the internet. It doesn't look like it will work on a bmx shell, because, of course, that would be too simple.

You're right, it looks like it was being marketed as a lightweight thing but I think you can see that it would have some obvious advantages for heavy duty bikes.

...Anyway, I think I'm just going to use the euro reducer for the time being.

Pete

8. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

Pete I am kidding about 90% of the time, there is nothing worth being serious (or seriously mean about) in terms of bikes. Hope the reducer cups work out

9. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

if you want to run a MTB crank why not just get conversion cups from dans comp for like $8?

edit: nevermind. i thought you just didn't have any BMX cranks to use at the moment. just run BMX cranks. save weight other places. cranks need to be stiff/strong. nothing rivals a 3 piece bmx crank for this.

10. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I couldn't source a set of profiles with MTB BB.....BTI and QBP are both sold out. I could buy a BMX version, then spend another $25 on the euro conversion and end up paying $200 cost for something that shoulda cost me like $160. So I snagged up a set of Bones MRP cranks. Supposedly stiffer than Profiles....we'll see. Surprisingly, just to get my rig rolling, I put on a set of Hollowtech Deore cranks with a square BB and it's pretty damn stiff. Surpised the shit outta me...

11. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

they aren't stiffer than profiles but you'll probably be OK. you can order parts directly from profile BTW. they should have them in stock.

12. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.