Bjork

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by mikeschiavone, Oct 26, 2004.

1. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

damn, i just listened to a few of her songs. that shit is trippy. what are some of her better albums?

2. Elan

Elan steve french

i donno. i like that song from vincent nopogogodj1

joga.

3. manimal

manimal New Member

I just got Dancer in the Dark (its a movie with Bjork) .. check it out if you haven't...

4. Simonk

Simonk Guest

for some reason i really dislike listening to bjork. like its enough to make me turn of the radio or leave the room.

5. AndyT

AndyT New Member

They are all a bit different, all very good imo....early stuff isn't quite as electronic and tranquil as some recent stuff.

6. AlainY

AlainY bruises that won't heal

I think Bjork is most accessible in her earlier albums. Like Radiohead, she went into more experimental grounds from Vespertine to her current one now called Medulla.

Previous to Vespertine (Debut, Post, Homogenic, Dancer in the dark), it had an electronic dance flavor to it.

Debut and Post are straightforward dance like music. Homogenic is taking from the previous two albums but going into break beats.

Vespertine was a venture into natural everyday sounds where simple taps on a ball or an insect chirping was used to compose the rhythm and background of the music.

Medulla is the most challenging one but it's all a cappella... meaning no instruments, just human beat boxes and harmonies to comprise the music.

All in all, the secret to Bjork's music is the subtle detail in the instruments around her. It't not totally about her singing. It's about the subtle compositions and changes going on in her music. The great thing about Bjork and artists who challenge themselves is that you won't hear albums that sound like one or the other.

PS - i also love Radiohead.

7. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

I always thought that in theory, given everything she appeared to be on paper, I should enjoy bjork, but I can't say I do. Something about her music just seems TOO unstructured and random, although I normally don't have a problem with that.

OK computer was playing at the bouldering gym today...that was good, I spent an hour on the two problems right under the speaker. I OWN 17 & 19 vert now and am fitter, happier, more productive.

- Joel

8. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

i really enjoyed vespertine and medulla... all of her early stuff is good. i like the fact that all her stuff seems to be evolving and changing. keeps things interesting. a few of her songs are just a little too out there for me though.

9. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I was wondering why I had all kinds of referrals from a rock climbing site :). Now I know.